Third Build - Double (neck) Trouble

Pretty tight fit

IMG_3100.jpg

Hey toddler...looking good so far !

I was wondering how you square off your neck pocket corners. Chisel ? Drill press w/mortise bit ? They look really sharp.

Thanks.

Really sharp chisel... works like a champ. Except, I'm not sure how to re-sharpen it when it gets dull. Maybe I'll just have it professionally sharpened or buy a new one every time :D

I don't know how you've survived without home sharpening stuff. I'm sharpening my planes and chisels all the time!if I had to take them out every time I'd be broke. I'm tellin' ya, watch this series:

and go buy a Norton 4000/8000 yellow/white combo stone and their black/blue diamond plate, and the cheap little $20 chisel/plane woodcraft holder shown. You really don't need all the fancy jigs and tools that cost an arm and a leg. I can shave with all my tools with those 3 things mentioned above.

Chris

Hey, has my thread been hijacked? :D

But seriously, in the past I've just relied on files and sanding blocks. It wasn't until I made the mortises for my workbench base that I used a chisel for the first time. Man, I couldn't believe the results. Now I am a believer... I guess I'll have to step up and learn the art of sharpening... thanks for the tips, Chris! :D

looking good, But id chamber out more of it. Double necks can get realy heavy. I have one on the go just now & have almost hollowed out the whole top guitar because of previous experiance.

Any idea of the weight of this one at the moment ?

I was hoping someone would "weigh" in on this subject. I don't want it to be too heavy, but I still want there to be enough structure for sustain. Right now I think I've got it at close to 1" around the perimeter and about 3/8" thickness at the bottom of the cavities. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how much material thickness to leave? 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch?

I'm also planning to rout matching shallow cavities into the topwood before I glue that on. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hey, this is a beautiful project.

I have not done a double neck. But on chambered guitars, my practice is to leave 3/8" minimum thickness at the sides (up to 1" where hardware is attached, like strap buttons), and leave 3/16" minimum thickness on the back. You could remove a lot more wood before you hit those numbers. You could also remove wood in the center between the two necks. You could hollow out the underside of the top; but if it is a flat, uncarved top on a chambered guitar, I make the top 3/16" to start with.

No matter how much the body weighs, it still has to balance the necks. I'd rather have a heavy guitar than one with a neck that you have to hold up.

Edited by Ken Bennett

looking good, But id chamber out more of it. Double necks can get realy heavy. I have one on the go just now & have almost hollowed out the whole top guitar because of previous experiance.

Any idea of the weight of this one at the moment ?

I was hoping someone would "weigh" in on this subject. I don't want it to be too heavy, but I still want there to be enough structure for sustain. Right now I think I've got it at close to 1" around the perimeter and about 3/8" thickness at the bottom of the cavities. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how much material thickness to leave? 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch?

I'm also planning to rout matching shallow cavities into the topwood before I glue that on. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hey, this is a beautiful project.

I have not done a double neck. But on chambered guitars, my practice is to leave 3/8" minimum thickness at the sides (up to 1" where hardware is attached, like strap buttons), and leave 3/16" minimum thickness on the back. You could remove a lot more wood before you hit those numbers. You could also remove wood in the center between the two necks. You could hollow out the underside of the top; but if it is a flat, uncarved top on a chambered guitar, I make the top 3/16" to start with.

No matter how much the body weighs, it still has to balance the necks. I'd rather have a heavy guitar than one with a neck that you have to hold up.

Thanks for the advice, Ken. As is stands, I think I've managed to hit most of the thickness numbers you mentioned. For the time being, I'm leaving the chambers where they are until I can get her weighed. I need to borrow a bathroom scale from a neighbor because we are not allowed to have one in our house - wife's rule! My goal is for it not to be any heavier than the average unchambered LP (which is think is around 12 - 13 lbs.). I would prefer heavy rather than unbalanced and I think the client would agree.

• 6 months later...

Very nice; I love the carve especially the way the horns are blended into it. I normally go for a more gradual slope on the lower bout, but this works well too. Do you normally set the top before glueing up the fret boards? It seems like that will make dressing the highest frets more difficult that it needs to be.

SR

Very nice; I love the carve especially the way the horns are blended into it. I normally go for a more gradual slope on the lower bout, but this works well too. Do you normally set the top before glueing up the fret boards? It seems like that will make dressing the highest frets more difficult that it needs to be.

SR

Well, it seems I never do it the same way twice! I've done it both ways, but I'm just more comfortable working on the inlays with the fretboard off. Yeah, it might make the fretwork a little more difficult later, but I could always farm that out to somebody else :D