2010 Crazy Inlay Project Started

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Viking guitar. It was great. And this one promises to be pretty wild too. Looking forward to seeing it come along. :D

The front of the guitar has been inlaid. About 3/4 of the shell has been cut for the back. Pictures and video coming soon. The eye of the war maching is sunk deep into the guitar a I put a piece of clear lexan over the top of it. That looks really cool. Not sure if it will show up in the pictures, but live it's really bad a$$.

Update as of 6/27/10.

Finished the front, work on the back. The eye in this picture is inlaid deeper than the rest and covers with clear lexin (the stuff then back race car windows with), so it has a 3D look.

eye.jpg

warmachines.jpg

fiedpeople.jpg

And progress on the back.

robbieprogress.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

Excellent!! ... love the War Of The Worlds, but that robot is just too sweet!!

Yeah, I've always wanted to do Robbie the Robot. He predates the Lost in Space robot but almost ten years and was featured in a number of flims and TV shows including a episode of the Adams Family where he took over for Learch.

I keep suggesting it to client, but nobody ever bit. So I just had to do it for myself. This thing be really going to look bad ass in my collection. At the rate I'm going, I probably won't finish it until September.

This looks sweet. What kind of material are you going to use?

Robbie is made up for a ton of different materials. MOP,GMOP,BMOP,Silver fantail, Red Abalone, Onyx, Fosile bone, Mamoth Ivory, Leapard stone, Rodinite, Lexin, Bubbinga, Yellow Cedar ... I think that's it.

Finished cutting all the pieces today. I hope to glue up on Saturday.

Edited by cSuttle

Is there a noticable difference in the look of fossil bone versus regular bone?

Actually it's a type of recon stone called red fossil bone, I just left out the red part :D

I bought some two month ago just on a whim to check it out. From the picture I never thought it would be useful. I have used it three times already and it will be on my regular buy list from now on. It's cool stuff in the right setting. Make cool looking planets.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for my slow response Mr Suttle....the original early 80s Washburn A10/A20, etc. came with hardtails with the later 90s reissues having trems. This is a beautiful example:

http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/cgi-bin/galler...ery&id=1330

I really really like where you're going with this one....especially the planet inlay! Really really nice.

Apologies for my slow response Mr Suttle....the original early 80s Washburn A10/A20, etc. came with hardtails with the later 90s reissues having trems. This is a beautiful example:

http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/cgi-bin/galler...ery&id=1330

I really really like where you're going with this one....especially the planet inlay! Really really nice.

I alway thought the A20's have quited tops. Cool guitar though.

I've never been too sure about those models, only what I found out when I was trying to locate a second A-10 to replace the original one I had. Both where set-neck mahogany body/necks with flamed sycamore veneered tops and tinted black clears. FWIW, they were really cool guitars. I had one set up with 2x EMG-81s and the other with a '59 and an Invader, both with blocked off trems ;-)

Cliff mentioned in the vids (and possibly the thread) that the guitar will be stained a dark blue, hence the full strip. Incidentally, I love the way that picture turned out with the inky blue space in the control cavity...inspiration comes from the strangest of places, perhaps? ;-)

So you're going to paint this one, yeah?

Actually, I'm planning on doing something pretty radical. I am going to use a number of stains to simulate a planetscape/landscape, then I will hand paint some of the background details like stars and rocks. I've never seen anyone try anything quite like it, so I am in very uncharted waters here, but I believe it will work out.

I can see it in my head, now I just have to get it on the guitar.

But, first I have to get around to inlaying the fretboard. Putting in the planet mars is going to be really tricky and I just haven't been able to get motivated yet.