Les Paul Style Build

The neck blank is cut up, and I gotta say, my coworker did a bang-up job! I'm able to get 2 necks out of the entire piece, and I can get two headstocks out of it on the correct side that I want. I'll be using the other neck for the SG that I'm building.

I've decided that I'm most likely going to be putting a top on this. It really does remind me of poop smeared on cardboard right now... It might change as I carve though... I still love the sides, and I'm pretty OK with the back. I have no idea what I'm going to use as a top though. I'm looking through LMI and a few other places at the moment.

The fretboard will either be ziricote, or massacre ebony. The top will probably not be flame maple, because I wouldn't know what to dye it as.

More update pics to come when the weather cooperates! Right now there's thunderstorms and no good lighting...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just installed that wiring in my buddies lp with a SD jazz in the neck and a custom 5 in the bridge. It does give you a lot of options, but I didn't really like them all. really the only one I liked was the phase reversal. the rest sounded really thin, and I had to mess with the amp to make them sound ok, and it might have been the pups weren't hot enough. but versatility isn't only having options but good sound options. I'd much rather have a varitone switch. just my thoughts.

that 2nd one that Wez posted is the ****... It'll need a different binding color for sure. I'm not too sure about black with black binding though. I'll get some and we'll see how it looks in the binding channel once I get that far though. I'm definately doing the black top though. Very sexy yes!

Wes, you should definitely do an explorer like that! And you should post a build thread!

I just had a thought...That thing would look killer the top and headstock of it painted gloss black,wrapping over the sides like binding,and leaving the back and neck cleared.

That could look cool! Maybe add a thin strip of white or cream binding underneath the black binding to create a line between black and clear wood. Like this but with different colors:

P2190035.jpg

Man that is seriously cool as a way to create a sharp separation between paint and natural...

Yeah, and it's possible to do with different colored binding strips or by painting it as I did.

......with a plastic binding strip

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...alves/wip76.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...alves/wip09.jpg

Exactly! And it doesn't have to be as wide as your binding either, StewMac has binding that's just .075" (1,9mm).

Sooooooooooooooo... I've got some firewood neck material now... I got the limba neck blank back today, and it made me really wonder if he followed any of the instructions, or if he even knows that a guitar neck is stress bearing... Its complete garbage now. *sigh* That was a nice piece of wood too... So much for the "build the guitar out of one piece of wood" plan... This really sets me back.

He felt bad and wanted to pay me after. He's giving me a 6" jointer, which is pretty sweet.

So...

I'm gathering up my plans right now, and seeing what I can pull off with what I have, and what I may need to buy. I bought a piece of black walnut a little while ago to build a Violin with... Perhaps I could re-purpose it?

I managed to save the headstock from the neck blank by cutting it off before I gave it to him. Good thing I did. At least I'll have a nice light headstock to work with...

I looked at Strandberg's ergonomic build, and his version with the darker woods looks kind of nice. Maybe I can pull something off like that, and use some scrap laminates of black limba I have left over from the carnage? Now that I'm getting a jointer, i'll be able to properly laminate things.

Or maybe I should just stop and go work on the SG... This really ruins my plans. Good thing I didn't pick out hardware or binding yet, because I really feel like I'm starting from page 1 again.

Alright, I gotta do some research and figure out what woods are light enough and strong enough to build a neck with that are available in my area. There's plenty of wenge, walnut, purple heart, yellow heart, Birch, maple, mahogany, iroko, cocobolo, and a few others at the hardwood store I go to... I guess buying online's an option...

**** I'm pissed...

From now on, I cut my own wood.

I really feel like I'm starting from page 1 again.

You're not alone there, buddy. A couple of weeks ago, I had a 2"+ thick maple & walnut neck blank I was going to use for a back bolt. Well, the body I'm putting it on is too thin, so I split it and made two identical blanks from it. I scarfed them both then went to even out the face of both on the jointer. Something was SERIOUSLY out of whack on it because after 3 -shallow- passes (or so I thought) one edge was 1/8" thinner than the other. I didn't notice it on the first one I "jointed", so I accidentally ruined BOTH BLANKS!

Oh, I'm surprised you didn't hear my head explode. I went absolutely ballistic.

But it happens. I calmed down, and the next day I made a new blank that's cooler than the original. Sometimes ya just gotta start over.

pics got posted while I was writing the post....

W-T-F is that? Were you trying to get him to make two blanks from one board?

Edited by avengers63

Pictures???

P1010156.jpg

P1010157.jpg

[edit]

because I think it deserves repeating:

From now on, I cut my own wood.

Well that's interesting :D I'm still a bit confused why there is a large chunk missing from the middle, but you probably can get some interesting things made from the pieces now.

Edited by Reinhold