Resources For Learning About Guitar Bridges...

MuffinPunch

Hello all,

I have begun intensely preparing for a project I will be doing for school this term and Im finding that im in way over my head, or else Ive seriously lost my marbles. Maybe both. :D

I have started a thread in "In Progress..." area with regards to my ideas for this build (see 'Giger 7 string' in my sig), but in a nutshell I need to figure out how to design and build a locking tremolo system or fixed bridge digitally (3d CAD) from the ground up. To put it in context, this is technically an "art piece" and will be applied to a non-working, solid resin guitar (body, neck, tuners, fretboard, hardware, and bridge, etc.) at first, but ultimately taken to a fully working, wood and metal prototype. I know nothing about bridges besides the basics of restringing and setup, but keep in mind, that I will base my design off existing technology (FR, Edge, ZR, Kahler, etc.) I have no desire to reinvent the wheel.

Ive searched everywhere I can think of for a good, detailed resource which will help me understand the mechanics of how a bridge is engineered and why certain materials are used on certain parts, etc., but I havent been able to come up with anything satisfactory thus far. Do any of you know of a resource that will provide me with this information? Thanks for your help!

Edited by MuffinPunch

Fixed bridge is simple, and for locking, just look at the various systems out there. I'd think a patent search for Kahler and Floyd Rose will go a long way, and there are plenty of discussions out in the wild, wild web on the benefits of knife edge vs. ball bearing systems. It mostly boils down to a system that's stable enough to maintain tuning, strong enough to resist undue wear, and low friction enough to allow free movement.