Wondering About Toggle Switch Options

djobson101

I've gotten a little curious after seeing one of these on a Carvin. If I understand correctly, this is the setup that comes on the entry level bolt kit guitar, there are 3 single coils, with the controls a master volume, master tone, a 5 way switch and a toggle switch.

Now, what I think it does, is enable you to combine the bridge pickup with any of the other positions on the 5 way. Is this how it works? I'm asking because I have a cool idea, but not sure if it would work.

I will be using a guitar with a H-S-H configuration - a couple of stock (Epiphone) Firebird humbuckers, and in the single position I have a SD Hot Rails. If I were to attempt to wire it in the same way that the Carvin's are (and if what I heard about that toggle switch function was true), could I have it set so that it's like this - the hot rails is wired to the bottom (bridge) position on the 5 way switch, and is able to be used with either of the two other humbuckers via the toggle?

Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated

i would do it as a standard 5-way blade switch with the toggle or push/pull adding the neck (or bridge) in any position

this gives:

neck

neck/middle

middle

bridge/middle (bridge/middle/neck)

bridge (bridge/neck)

(use toggle switch to turn neck pickup on)

using a 3-way switch doesnt let you have all the individual pickups settings... and this set-up feels intuitive because the 5-way works just as you would expect

its called the 7 sound strat mod and here is a helpfull PDF

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/7sound-strat.pdf