Amp Head Suggestions

Reinhold

Now that I've upgraded my strat and have my first build underway, I think it's time to start thinking about a new amp to replace my crappy solid-state combo. I'm looking for a versatile amp that could handle clean, jazzy-type tones, yet have enough gain on tap to play even the heaviest metal, yet don't want to spend the ridiculous prices associated with these amps. Does anyone out there know of an amp that fits this description. I know that I can get Marshalls pretty cheap, so anyone have any suggestions on which I should go for? Or are there any other smaller brands that could get me great, but similar tones for less? I'm not really familiar with the latest amps as I'm just starting out and hope someone here has been around the block a couple times and can push me in the right direction. Thanks.

I could possibly get shot down for this but try a bugera valve head. I think they sell them in the states..Im from Australia and i got mine for $900. Its really nice on the cleans, has a mild distortion channel and then a lead for full blown metal. I play loads of metal through it and can tell you that u wont be disappointed!

Check out the blackstar HT line. They are super versatile and inexpensive. There are 5, 20, 40, 60, and 100 watt versions available. They have great cleans and the distortion is insane. they also have this cool little ISF feature that changes the voicing of the amp from british to american. You can blend the two for a pretty cool variety of tones.

I highly reccomend two amps...the Peavey JSX and the Engl Powerball...both have great tone and are very versatile,but the Engl is more expensive..yet it is slightly more transparent...

in the $1000 or so pricerange,nothing rocks as hard as the JSX...bang for the buck,baby!

I highly reccomend two amps...the Peavey JSX and the Engl Powerball...both have great tone and are very versatile,but the Engl is more expensive..yet it is slightly more transparent...

in the $1000 or so pricerange,nothing rocks as hard as the JSX...bang for the buck,baby!

I've got a XXX with EL34's (very close to the JSX)

3 Channel. Versatile. Great clean channel for a big tuber :D :D

No matter what amp you get,you will need to run an EQ through the effects loop.Nothing shapes the sound like a good EQ...

Take the Engl or a JSX and scoop it a bit through the EQ and you can dial in awesomeness...

what if your head doesnt have an FX loop ?

would it work the same running an EQ pedal inbetween the guitar and amp ?

Most heads mentioned here have effects loops...including the two I mentioned

Of course it will work just running it in front,but to me it always sounds better through an effects loop...same thing with reverb,but distortion pedals I always put in front.

I don't use distortion pedals with my Engl though...plenty of gain in the amp.

But I consider a good EQ to be essential with rock and especially metal...with clean tones not so much..most tube amps are voiced very well for clean all by themselves.

BUT I should mention I never found an EQ pedal I liked..I always use rackspace..my current one is a DBX 15 band graphic EQ...cost about $100 new when I bought it a few years back...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...c-EQ?sku=183526

I wouldn't recommend a Bugera to a gigging musician, the build quality isn't great, theres a few stories around the web about it.

No matter what amp you get,you will need to run an EQ through the effects loop.Nothing shapes the sound like a good EQ...

Take the Engl or a JSX and scoop it a bit through the EQ and you can dial in awesomeness...

would it work the same running an EQ pedal inbetween the guitar and amp ?

pre and post drive EQ do very different things. try moving an EQ pedal from before a dist. pedal to after without altering settings.

The very most, and even this is a stretch, would probably be around 1300, but really I would like to spend less than that because I'm going to be building a 2x12 for it as well. I want a tube amp, around 50-120W would be more than I could ever need, but good since I can keep the master volume low enough to not piss off everybody in the house and the neighbors. I would like 3 channels, but wouldn't mind something like a 6262 with gain on the clean and a crunch button (don't know if I could get an amp guy to mod that to work with a footswitch for 3 channels, but it would be worth a shot, yet not a big deal). I've looked a lot at the 6262 because of the price, yet I really don't know. I really do not want to have to spend a fortune to get a somewhat versatile palette of tones. I've heard good and bad things about bugeras, but if it breaks, I could probably fix their cheap chinese wiring myself rather than return it, or buy another and still be under the price for a real peavy amp. I wish their new dual rec clone was out.

Edited by Reinhold

The very most, and even this is a stretch, would probably be around 1300, but really I would like to spend less than that because I'm going to be building a 2x12 for it as well. I want a tube amp, around 50-120W would be more than I could ever need, but good since I can keep the master volume low enough to not piss off everybody in the house and the neighbors. I would like 3 channels, but wouldn't mind something like a 6262 with gain on the clean and a crunch button (don't know if I could get an amp guy to mod that to work with a footswitch for 3 channels, but it would be worth a shot, yet not a big deal). I've looked a lot at the 6262 because of the price, yet I really don't know. I really do not want to have to spend a fortune to get a somewhat versatile palette of tones. I've heard good and bad things about bugeras, but if it breaks, I could probably fix their cheap chinese wiring myself rather than return it, or buy another and still be under the price for a real peavy amp. I wish their new dual rec clone was out.

Ive had mine for a year and had no problems at all..And its switchable between 6l6 and el34's..and 5 tubes in the preamp compared to only 4 in alot of amps..It really is a very ballsy amp! And the quality seems pretty high to me.

Most heads mentioned here have effects loops...including the two I mentioned

Of course it will work just running it in front,but to me it always sounds better through an effects loop...same thing with reverb,but distortion pedals I always put in front.

I don't use distortion pedals with my Engl though...plenty of gain in the amp.

But I consider a good EQ to be essential with rock and especially metal...with clean tones not so much..most tube amps are voiced very well for clean all by themselves.

BUT I should mention I never found an EQ pedal I liked..I always use rackspace..my current one is a DBX 15 band graphic EQ...cost about $100 new when I bought it a few years back...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...c-EQ?sku=183526

good info there thanks : )

i was just wondering about my own amp as it has no effects loop and i fancied getting an EQ but im not sure whats best, i guess getting some rack effects would be the way forward.

I've been looking around and I believe that a Bugera may be my best bet because I really don't want to spend a lot and they sound pretty killer for the price, but I will invest in a good EQ and some other pedals to make everything sound it's best.

Welcome to the club. I dont use an eq at the moment and it sounds great..Having said that, I think ill buy one soon. I seem to be reading everywhere how good they are

After a day of deliberation, I've decided on the 6262 for now, I can always buy the 333xl at a later time, they're cheap enough. I'm going to wait until after I go on vacation however and see what kind of price my uncle (not really sure the real relationship, so I'll go with uncle) can get me on a marshall head since he's a dealer and I've been dying to try the JVM 410H.