Crack Fixing - The Wrong Wood?

I've just received the wood i intended to use to fix the cracks on my parlor guitar:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=43373&st=0

For those that are interest in the detail, the rest can scroll down.

It got 2 (roughly) 10 - 11cm long cracks in a mahogany back, pretty bad stuff from all i know.

I intended to rout those and inlay sticks of new wood in there.

So i've ordered a 12cm turning blank for a knife.

Problem:

They all looked a lot lighter in the picture and where all straight grained in the picture,

it said "mahogany" but it was just a "stand in" for all kinds.

What i got now is khaya - aka african mahogany, which got a dark creamy coffee color,

but the grain goes like a shallow "/" across the short side of the piece.

It looks very nice it obviously is nice wood, but it will be visible, is there a way to bleach that a bit? I can deal with that

if i can't, but it's a issue, i put a TON of work into making it look good.

The main bit:

Can i actually use that or will it mess up my guitar?

It's mahogany alright, but the wrong kind, and the grain goes in the wrong direction.

Anything i have to take care off or watch? Any advice?

*bangs head against wall*

Should i post pictures?

No thoughts on this? :/

Well i took 2 pictures just now if that may help.

One of the cracks and the material.

cw2.jpg

cw1.jpg

Yes the back isn't yet done with sanding i thought i have to do it anyway when i inlay wood to fix the crack,

so i decided to do that then.

Have you considered using epoxy and wood flour?

I actually didn't since i thought this would diminish the sound.

Any experience? :D

Can i still put a french polish on there if i do, and how do i keep it from dripping into the body?

Sorry, for all the questions, i've actually never considered this so far. :D

The soundhole is extremely small,

putting something on the inside to keep it from running into the soundbox could be quite difficult,

or at least i can't fit my hand in there. B)

I think Id keep an eye out for an old piece of furniature or an ald crappy cheap guitar. That is a serious difference in colour & the grain being so radically different in direction would bother me.

Hold off & look for some timber elsewhere. damaged furniature. Mangled acoustics, old scraped pianos - that kinda thing. You will find a better match fairly quickly.

Well the pen blank is useless. The grain is completely wrong to fix the crack. You need the grain to run the length of the piece.

If you are going to fix it correctly you will want to clean the crack with a knife and make a splice to put in it. Then use hide glue or titebond to glue the splinter in.

I have some old mahogany scraps... PM me and I will mail you a few that might work.

I really appreciate that offer, but i don't think it's a good idea.

It would be quite costly to send something, from the US to germany,

and it may be quite a lot of trouble to import/export small amounts of exotic wood.

I will have to ask around more in the area once the temperatures get a bit more humane again.

But it quite surprised me how afraid professionals can be about amateurs, most i've contacted didn't even answer me,

and it's not like i asked to get something for free.

Coming here is always so much nicer than to deal with people in the region that make their money with that.

Thanks - it really is appreciated.