7-string Headstock Design Help

verhoevenc

7-String Headstock Design Help  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys. So let me present the dilemma to you. I'm designing a 7-string headstock and would like to keep the route-down feature of my normal headstock as well as the general design elements. However, this presents a problem... my tuner keys are not equidistant from the edge, they are in a straight line. To keep the last tuner on base side in line, I have to angle it so that you can turn the key to tune. Does it bug you guys? Is it worth angling that tuner to keep the posts in line and the same 'level' of curve on each side?

7string-with-tuners.jpg

It doesn't bug me at all, but I do need to know if it bugs the general public just in case at some point I want to part with a 7-string build :D

Chris

Ok, this will be hard for me to explain in English but I'll try: Have you thought about making the headstock a little narrower on top? Imagine cutting out a wedge with the wide end at the top and then bringing it together. That would give you a straighter string pull and reduce the angle of the top tuner a bit. Just adjust the other tuner angles and the curves on top of the headstock so that they flow as nicely as they do now. Another option would of course be to make the route-down a little narrower too. That being said, I'm not bothered at all by it now either...

That was actually the first thing I did. It looks goofy :S

However, I'll give it another go and post the pic when I have some time. I have to switch over the the PC part of my mac to do it though... which is a pain and I don't feel like doing it right now.

Chris

As you guys can see, all angled tuners looks pretty dang goofy since I do my tuners in a line instead of equidistant from the edge.

angledtuners.jpg

That said... I LOVE the "in a line" look on my 6-string and changing that setup is pretty close to a non-option. Especially since I've been using them like that already for awhile now.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Since this is an opinion base post, I hope you don't mind my opinion. I voted that it doesn't bother me. I think you have a beautiful headstock design. Is the design the same as what you use for a six string. If so, I would maybe change the design slightly for the seven string. If it were me, I would narrow the radius (at the centers) by one "grid mark" while leaving the ends of the radius as they are. Next I would offset the G,B, and high E three "Grid marks" to the left (away from the nut). I think that would give the head a very nice "staggered" look. Finally I would probably make the tuners equi-distant from the edge. It would give the whole headstock a sexy female "figure 8" look. I know you have an established look for your headstock, but I really hope you'll consider giving your 7-string its own "signature" look while still retaining your original lines. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck. Whatever you choose, you already have a real winner!!!!

Sorry boys. CADs were already sent to the CNC mill for aluminum template making. I decided that I pretty dang happy with the design and that I actually like that little tuner. It lets you know it's a 7 and not a normal guit-box right off the bat. Thanks for the help all you guys! 12 to 7 ain't too bad in my book.

Chris