Project S907 #2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always love your builds and these are certainly not altering my opinion. The scarf with the two white lines (maple?) really looks sharp. Keep up the good work AD. :D

Thanks, you have to be careful lining all that stuff up. If the lines are off it is a trip to the bandsaw. Yes the white lines are maple veneer and the black is died pear wood. I should have taken more pictures while I was doing the scarf but I was too focused to pick up the camera.

I think I am getting tired of scarf gymnastics... I might do a few scarfless builds in the near future.

I am thinking about some clear (target coatings)... while she is still red. She might hold her color a little longer.

May be dark red but she will hold. Marylin is still dark red and it has been 2 years since I finished her (Tru-oil). My king V is still kinda red... but it got tung-oil and well... it may be brown in a few more years.

I have a padauk top I haven't used it. I found this comment about preventing color change quoted from "Wood" magazine online. Don't think I want to try this, but you guys know more about finishing than I do and the science behind it. I've only done oil finishes so far.

"The way to prevent this and save the wonderful orange-red color is to treat it with a bit of Armor-all before sealing."

I have a padauk top I haven't used it. I found this comment about preventing color change quoted from "Wood" magazine online. Don't think I want to try this, but you guys know more about finishing than I do and the science behind it. I've only done oil finishes so far.

"The way to prevent this and save the wonderful orange-red color is to treat it with a bit of Armor-all before sealing."

Can you say Fish-Eye? I am not sure I want to go that route. A UV inhibitor like http://www.targetcoatings.com/emtech-9300.html

Can you say Fish-Eye? I am not sure I want to go that route. A UV inhibitor like http://www.targetcoatings.com/emtech-9300.html

That is what I was thinking. Armor-all has got to be silicone.

• 2 weeks later...

FLOOD CONTROL IS A PAIN.

I am not really fond of taking all night to update my threads. So if you are wondering why I haven't started any other threads it is because it takes too long. I can understand 30 or 60 seconds but 120 means I have to find something else to do for 2 minutes before posting another 4 pictures. It would be nice if flood control could be set on a per member basis. I donated last year and will do so again this year. Maybe a donation could lift the FLOOD CONTROL.

So back to posting...

Starting on the neck. Work on volute and heal first. This neck will get a soft trapezoid shape.

P9080032.jpg

P9080033.jpg

After one pass with the shinto rasp I decided that the old clamp system for shaping the neck is not going to cut it.

P9080038.jpg

Don't bet on it going brown. My padauk Terz has been orange since day one and that's been several years now. So are the raw wood sister back/sides I have.

It seems to vary from piece to piece.

Chris

PS: Great headstock design! I'm NOT a 6-in-line guy, but this is nice.

I like the Orange so that is good news.

I am glad you like the headstock... it is a love it or hate it design. I get tired of the "The strings hang off" comments.

New neck shaping support. I want to do an English horse but I really don't have time today. I cut the profile into a 5' 2x4 and ran it through the drum sander on both sides to make it flat. Then routed a channel down the middle and used a rasp to give it a dish radius. I made a small clamp system for the nut area but I will revise it later as it is not exactly what I want.

P9080042.jpg

P9080044.jpg

P9080065.jpg