Project S907 #2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks Fantastic Brett.

Keep the pics coming.

You should be telling me to work on your pickups.... instead of building prototypes.

BTW I got some killer 1018 pole pieces of for the pickups for this... and A really nice A5 Unoriented and an A4 Mag. I am going complete Jazz pickups for this thing. It should sound like the dark GodZilla when I get done.

Going to get some fret work in before watching football today.

I think I am going to start fretting the boards before gluing them to the neck. It is too much work making them perfectly flat on a shaped neck. I have always done it this way because I learned to fret doing refrets. I have also always worried about introducing water when gluing and the neck moving as it is shaped. However my laminated neck blanks have proven very stable and I think this is the way I will be going in the future.

P9230178.jpg

P9230179.jpg

I have changed the angle of my fret bevel (to 25 degrees) again. For a while I was running it at about 10 degrees (very steep) and doing hemispherical fret ends. That has been met with mixed reviews and it is a lot of work. I am moving back to a more traditional bevel but still more vertical than the 35 degree standard. Here are some shots of my bevel block... nice chunk of padauk. It still does vertical by moving the file to the other side (for hemispherical ends).

P9230188.jpg

P9230189.jpg

P9230190.jpg

Tuner holes drilled. You have to be very careful with padauk as it is prone to tear-out while drilling. I did fine on the first holes (use a sharp 5/16" brad point and nice block of wood behind) but when I used the mill to create the step it tore out a little. I still have some sanding to do so I will fill them and sand the flat (all is under the tuner). I know you are thinking why do all that if they are hidden? Contact area is important for tone. Never leave voids under metal parts if you can help it.

P9230191.jpg

P9230192.jpg

P9230194.jpg

P9230195.jpg

Both guitars are looking amazing.

Thanks!

The scarf joint is off the hook, but if I could change one thing, the neck lams would continue past the second contrasting scarf lam through the entire headstock instead of stopping, looks a little odd imo.

At least I defined the stop with a line instead of letting them run out without an outline.

Personally I don't like scarfs... but it is irresponsible to waste wood on prototypes ( I had no scraps left from this build). If you check the 906 (not a prototype) you will see I ran the stripes all the way through the headstock (I also lost a neck blank do to poor planning... grrr).

The problem with continuing the lines through the headstock reveals itself in the headstock as it makes the top edge of the headstock look a bit funny. So you pick your poison does it look a bit funny while you are looking at the tuners or at the back of the neck?

Hope to get more work done tomorrow...

I'm skilled so thats why I use this. you need to step up your game.

6a00e54edfa92d883300e54f8bb8b38833-800wi.jpg

I have seen your builds hatchet man... very fitting tool for you!

I've made all my guitars with this HB106_Medium.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a piece of sandpaper in the near future :D

Here are some shots of the pickups for this build. I am going a complete opposite direction on these from what most people would think is a metal pickup. Lower DCR with a cleaner smoother output. I plan on letting the Mesa Boogie do the work for this one.

P9260256.jpg

P9260253.jpg

P9260255.jpg

Here are some shots of the pickups for this build. I am going a complete opposite direction on these from what most people would think is a metal pickup. Lower DCR with a cleaner smoother output. I plan on letting the Mesa Boogie do the work for this one.

That's your normal M.O. You've said many times that you like a lower output pup, more in the classic PAF style. IIRC, don't you like them in the 8K-10K range?

That's your normal M.O. You've said many times that you like a lower output pup, more in the classic PAF style. IIRC, don't you like them in the 8K-10K range?

Yes I do... these are even less. The bridge is 7.43K and the neck is 6.83K. On the bridge I am trying to recreate the sound of my 25 year old Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup (7.48k). On the neck I am just experimenting.

So far the unoriented A5 in the neck is sweet. No edgy funny overtones just smooth flat sweet.

The A4 in the bridge and I are still in the trial phase and honestly I might go to an A5... I won't know until I get them in the padauk.

I just shipped Bionic Dave a set of PAFs that were so nice I hated to mail them... 8.41k on the bridge and something a little less for the neck... I miss them already.