Project S907 #3

S907 #3

Sapele/Bloodwood neck attached to a super thin Sapele/Bloodwood topped body with hipshot parts and custom pickups.

Again aiming for a dark sounding 7 string light enough to enjoy.

Neck : Sapele/Bloodwood

Fretboard : Ziricote

Scale : 25.5

Frets : 24

Trussrod : ALLPARTS

Body : Sapele/Bloodwood (33mm)

Tuners : Hipshot

Pickups : Diablo 7 Strings

Bridge : Hipshot

Electronics : 1 Vol 3-way

Wood pile

P7140032.jpg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Neck blank... neck blank profiled. It was wide enough to build an 8 string out of. Probably should have converted it but I planned on (meaning parts are ordered) a 7 so it stays a 7.

P8170163.jpg

P8180173.jpg

Shot of the scarf. And repairing a crack in the ziricote. Ziricote is very brittle and prone to cracking. I am used to it though...remember the SG.

P8180177.jpg

P8180181.jpg

The neck monster doing its job. This saves me so much work when shaping out the necks. Also makes it much easier to maintain a consistant thickness all the way down the neck. I don't taper my necks much anymore as I like them to be thin all the way to the heal.

P8180184.jpg

P8180187.jpg

Looking good RAD, love that ziricote!

I've been looking around and haven't seen where you mention the body thickness, how thick is your super-thin?

The basses I'm building right now are 1.3" at the thickest point on the bodies and the one before is 1.2" so you could say I'm a fan of thin builds!

1.37 at the thickest spot... right by the neck and the pickups. However this will get a .3125 carve into the .375 top. And it will get belly carve an 3/8" radius on the back. When I get done is will seem thinner than it really is.

• 3 months later...
I think you need to send me 10 of your 200 clamps. Throw in that ziricote board too.

Also, cant wait for you to shape the back of the neck!

I need a few more clamps.... I hate glue lines. I am going to buy some more screw clamps as I have wrenched the handles off a couple of them.

Hopefully I will get a vacuum system next year. Then you will get a package with old clamps in it.

Don't get too excited about the back of the neck. It is not going to be some crazy ultra access thing... just not going to have a visible heal. What I always try to do is put the heal at a spot so when you rest your thumb on it you can comfortably reach the 24th fret with a pinky...

BTW -- Welcome to the forum! Glad you have migrated.

Hopefully I will get a vacuum system next year. Then you will get a package with old clamps in it.

Don't get too excited about the back of the neck. It is not going to be some crazy ultra access thing... just not going to have a visible heal. What I always try to do is put the heal at a spot so when you rest your thumb on it you can comfortably reach the 24th fret with a pinky...

Actually, I meant I want to see the scarf joint when the back of the neck is shaped. should look pretty sweet. As for the ultra access thing, I'm never really too psyched about them, or bothered about blocky heels, but that's because I has mammoth hands. (besides, I'm used to reaching up awkwardly on classicals)

And yeah, I thought it would be nice to share my build in here too, thought I'd show you guys how not to make a guitar.

Actually, I meant I want to see the scarf joint when the back of the neck is shaped. should look pretty sweet. As for the ultra access thing, I'm never really too psyched about them, or bothered about blocky heels, but that's because I has mammoth hands. (besides, I'm used to reaching up awkwardly on classicals)

And yeah, I thought it would be nice to share my build in here too, thought I'd show you guys how not to make a guitar.

Well you are in luck cause I will post it.

So I am not as happy with the scarf. I used a 1/4" piece of bloodwood but when you turn it sideways it becomes much bigger. It is very pronounced and that is not what I intended. I should have used an 1/8" piece. Lesson learned. The size of the lams and scarf decoration are very very important to the overall presentation.