Project S907 #3

RAD - sorry I didn't remember this wood combo when I started my bass. :D Seems like I copied your choices , but it wasn't intentional. Like all your threads, this one is looking good as it goes.

I must've missed it , but whats the reason for the polar-opposite neck? I like the looks of that one. All red n stuff.

The reverse HS looks good too. Although I hope the new owner isn't a 'axe-spinner' .... could kill the singer or bassist. :D

lookin forward to more of this one.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAD - sorry I didn't remember this wood combo when I started my bass. :D Seems like I copied your choices , but it wasn't intentional. Like all your threads, this one is looking good as it goes.

I must've missed it , but whats the reason for the polar-opposite neck? I like the looks of that one. All red n stuff.

The reverse HS looks good too. Although I hope the new owner isn't a 'axe-spinner' .... could kill the singer or bassist. :D

lookin forward to more of this one.

No worries. I don't care if people copy me... except my headstock I am kinda fond of that. <unwritten rule among luthiers>

I will make sure there is no guitar spinning or flipping (I am not liable for damage to equipment or band members as you try to copy Steve V <making you a poser since no one is Via except Via>)...

If Polar Opposite refers to the Ziricote board with all the bloodwood and sapele then the reason is contrast. Guitars should have a focal point. I think the grain of the bloodwood is a nice normal looking top and the Ziricote board adds chaos to the mix.

Plus this is only a prototype and I had the ziricote board laying around.

You are just knockin' these things out!

Chris

I think once you settle on a style and get all the templates made it becomes easier. We talked about how many guitars you have to build to "get it" and I am trying to "get it" for this type of guitar. I need to know all the caveats and quirks I might encounter. I already have most of my order slots filled for next year so I will get more practice.

Building one offs is great fun but it is hard work and the gotchas can be gut wrenching. I want to enjoy building for a while... then I will get board and build some more gut wrenching "no no no" "*** happened" one offs at some point.

......If Polar Opposite refers to the Ziricote board with all the bloodwood and sapele then the reason is contrast. Guitars should have a focal point. I think the grain of the bloodwood is a nice normal looking top and the Ziricote board adds chaos to the mix.

I was actually refering to the other neck ( post#11 picture 1 ), it looks like BW with Sapele stripes , sorta the opposite of this one. I was wondering if you were going to build another one like this, but with the other neck......

......If Polar Opposite refers to the Ziricote board with all the bloodwood and sapele then the reason is contrast. Guitars should have a focal point. I think the grain of the bloodwood is a nice normal looking top and the Ziricote board adds chaos to the mix.

I was actually refering to the other neck ( post#11 picture 1 ), it looks like BW with Sapele stripes , sorta the opposite of this one. I was wondering if you were going to build another one like this, but with the other neck......

Oh! That became THIS

And that is Padauk with maple/ebony/maple stripes

• 3 weeks later...

Fretting the 7.

I am fretting this neck before I shape it. Leaving it square on the back made the process infinitley easier than normal. I am not gluing the frets on this one. I am not sure it is necessary and I want to see how it holds up without glue. Also allowed me to fill the fret ends without worrying about staining the wood... since it won't be there in a week.

PC310011.jpg

PC310013.jpg

PC310015.jpg

Hey RAD, that neck looks great.

Can you give me a few pointers on headplate gluing? How do you minimise the glue getting into the end of the truss channel? Do you drill the trus rod access after fitting the headplate?

I have a bookmatched headplate to install on my build soon, and I am not quite sure how I should proceed.

Hey RAD, that neck looks great.

Can you give me a few pointers on headplate gluing?

Yes... do it as early as possible. The best time to do it is right after the scarf (or headstock angle)and wings are done. That way you can sand the edge when you true up the face of the neck. It also allows you to sand out any glue marks without hitting anything.

I don't do it like that... I should... but I don't. I put a bevel edge on my plate so it mates the end of the fretboard. Since I recess my tuners the headstock is already the correct thickness before adding the plate.

How do you minimise the glue getting into the end of the truss channel?

Use a piece of scotch tape over the trussrod if you insist on doing your headplate after everything else... If you look really close to the picture you can see the tape. Trim the tape to barely cover the cavity.

Do you drill the trus rod access after fitting the headplate?

I do it 2 ways...

First thing I always do is locate the face plate and mark each side of the channel on the headplate. Then I use the bandsaw to cut out the slot then round the end of the end of the slot with a rat tail rasp.

Alternately I mark the slot and only cut a little amount free... then I come back with the dremel and make a proper slot.

Another technique I have used is to drill an 1/8" hole in line with the end of the trussrod then come back and make a recess with the dremel.

If you do the plate first it is not an issue.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Your welcome...

Also use plenty of clamps... Even if you make a clamping caul in the shape of the headstock the plate might try to curl away and leave glue lines on the edge. I use titebond because my headplates are structural. The water in the titebond makes them curl up... so I run a line of spring clamps along the edges whenever I can.

One side roughed in... Bloodwood cuts fast for such a hard wood. You really have to feel it because it starts cutting slow then will bite all the sudden and gouge pretty deep. It is horrible to hand sand though so I will get as close as I can with the disk.

P1050073.jpg

P1050074.jpg

P1050075.jpg