Project S907 #3

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I guess that puts to rest any idea that guitar might not handle metal... :D

....or even whatever that crap is.

[sarcasm]Watching and listening to that clip, I can really appreciate the complex subtleties of your pickups. The full range of tones that were brought out truly have to be heard to be appreciated.[/sarcasm]

Well,I guess that puts to rest any idea that guitar might not handle metal... :D

....or even whatever that crap is.

[sarcasm]Watching and listening to that clip, I can really appreciate the complex subtleties of your pickups. The full range of tones that were brought out truly have to be heard to be appreciated.[/sarcasm]

Yeah their music leaves out some subtleties I try to emphasize. But for a pack of kids they have a bunch of energy and they seem pretty angry!

Actually I noticed on some of his runs (played at Mach X) I could still hear the individual notes... that makes me happy.

I feel like my ears should file a harrassment lawsuit. I listen to some heavy stuff(Symphony X, Dream Theater, Disturbed) but that was literally auditory abuse and quite possibly aggravated auditory abuse. And I think they were "singing" the direction on how to make proper chicken salad. But the guitar looked good. :D

Obviously you guys are not familiar with modern metal... :D

That is actually very good and intelligible for that type of metal..and by the way,the unenlightened also said the same sort of things about Megadeth,Slayer,etc back in the day..

Matter of fact,i just listened to it again,and I was even more impressed...very skilled musicians,all of them.Not everything has to be James Taylor

I feel like my ears should file a harrassment lawsuit. I listen to some heavy stuff(Symphony X, Dream Theater, Disturbed) but that was literally auditory abuse and quite possibly aggravated auditory abuse. And I think they were "singing" the direction on how to make proper chicken salad. But the guitar looked good. :D

Actually those bands are not heavy....not even by my very old standards. I cut my teeth on Maiden, Priest, Sabbath then turned to the big 4 Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax. I used to listen to Celtic Frost, Venom, Merciful Fate, and Voivod at times as well.

Today's metal is heavy. For grins try As I lay Dying or Lamb of God. They are normal modern metal <not even the heaviest>.

Obviously you guys are not familiar with modern metal... :D

That is actually very good and intelligible for that type of metal..and by the way,the unenlightened also said the same sort of things about Megadeth,Slayer,etc back in the day..

Matter of fact,i just listened to it again,and I was even more impressed...very skilled musicians,all of them.Not everything has to be James Taylor

Yeah I like the kids.

BTW: A lot of my customers play this kind of metal.

I'm familiar enough with it to know that I HATE that style of vocals. The music was decent enough, but the gutteral vocals are just crap. I hated them from the first time I heard them. I call them "cookie monster bands" because it sounds like the cookie monster trying to sing.

And I'd prefer Los Lonely Boys over James Taylor any day. :D

I'm familiar enough with it to know that I HATE that style of vocals. The music was decent enough, but the gutteral vocals are just crap. I hated them from the first time I heard them. I call them "cookie monster bands" because it sounds like the cookie monster trying to sing.

And I'd prefer Los Lonely Boys over James Taylor any day. :D

I am not a fan of "cookie monster metal" vocals either. I grew up with Dickinson, Halford, Dio. Guys who can sing... I like Mudvayne and a few of the newer bands that actually can sing when they need to.

I have recently spent a lot of time with early Motorhead as well. Lemmy can sing. I never thought he was that good but he is.

Some of the new metal bands that "sing" tend to sound fake, contrived even.

Today's metal is heavy.

Yes,and I am glad it is.The super heavy and fast death metal like that(I am sure the kids today would have a special category for it rather than death,but to me it is death)helps to keep modern thrash metal honest...That extreme heaviness and speed tends to raise the bar for the entire industry.

Even in the late 80s I was listening to Death(the band),and that guy's genius was well recognized by everyone...even those in the thrash community who didn't like death metal at the time(like me)

Over the years I have developed a taste for "good" death metal...some of it is still too extreme for me,but these guys are a good fit in the "heavy but still musical" category IMO

But I do think all of the instruments in that band should be either black or white...natural wood does seem a bit....foreign? :D

A lot of my customers play this kind of metal.

That does not surprise me at all..the musicians in that type of music(as you know)really have a love for guitars...more like an obsession...just like thrash in my day

And to top it off they are mostly extremely intelligent and tend to be able to afford decent instruments...a fact that has not been lost on all of the production guitar companies,as can be seen by the "made for metal" lines of Jackson,ESP,Ibanez,etc that have prices well in excess of $1000

Good quality vid! As far as the music goes I thinks its pretty good for that particular style. Got a Djenty feel to it in some parts.

Oh and that guitar is fudgin awesome!! Hows the finish holding up? You going to try it again?

Good quality vid! As far as the music goes I thinks its pretty good for that particular style. Got a Djenty feel to it in some parts.

Oh and that guitar is fudgin awesome!! Hows the finish holding up? You going to try it again?

So far the finish is holding up fine. It is just Behlens Teak Oil and wax. So far everything I have done with it holds up great.

However I think I am going to basically brew my own oil finish next year.

I am through with lacquer after this round and all the problems I had.

You do great work . I'm Interested in talking to you about a custom. I couldn't find a pm section on this forum . If you could contact me at cfhmachado@yahoo.com it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

However I do not do business on this forum.

I am here to teach and learn (and taunt and rant :D ).

PM ability comes after you become a regular member of the forum. If you wish to contact me do so through my website. Welcome to PG!

Do a google search on "guitar logistics".I am sure RAD just doesn't want to come off as pimping his services here...sometimes people do that.

Aren't I in enough trouble in other threads around here? :D

It must be the fact that I'm on an iPhone , that it's not showing up. Or I don't have enough posts.

I think you are right... until you are a regular member I don't think you can see anyones signature. Jump in and post some feedback on some of the great builds going on and it should show up.

I will gladly answer your emails but I like to be a good citizen on this forum. Everyone is very helpful and it is one of the few places I can post and get real feedback on my work.

Great build Rad. Enjoyed the thread.

The contrasting scarf piece in necks are becoming more popular with builders on here. have you (or anyone else)

had any problems with them, i.e. integrity of the join. I know the answer is going to be "no" they are fine but

a little assurance will help.

Great build Rad. Enjoyed the thread.

The contrasting scarf piece in necks are becoming more popular with builders on here. have you (or anyone else)

had any problems with them, i.e. integrity of the join. I know the answer is going to be "no" they are fine but

a little assurance will help.

Done correctly the answer is no. Now if you use the wrong wood or orient the grain the wrong way then yes.

One thing to consider is that different species of wood contract and expand at different rates. So it is very important to align the grain with the rest of the neck so that the scarf doesn't pull against the other pieces in the neck.

I also tend to only use hard woods I would use for fretboards in the scarfs. So this build has bloodwood scarf and lams. The blooodwood I have in the shop is very stable so I trust it to do the right thing.

It is not always the case I doubt you would catch me putting Ziricote in a scarf as it is hard to glue and generally unstable.

Another one I wouldn't do is oily cocobolo. I have several pieces of cocobolo that are extremely oily and are hard to glue with titebond. I don't use them in necks... only for fretboards and decorations were I can use a good epoxy against them.

I wouldn't use mahogany or ash or limba or similar woods in a scarf (although a mahogany/limba/mahogany neck sounds like it would work). It would be a waste of time. The idea is to accent and create lines that flow in the neck while increasing the stability.

Use your woodworking instincts when doing this and you will be fine.