Project S907 #3

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks pretty sick lol I love the rough stuff, wht did u use to wind the coils?

I used my overpriced under engineered Schatten Pickup Winder. I hate it but I am too busy to build my own. I would never waste the money on one again but if you are a hobbyist and need a winder it is ok if not overpriced.

Also they are rough for testing. They will get epoxy encased in an EMG style cover when they are closer to done.

As for recessing the strap locks... well it just seemed logical.

Get the cheap (like $150) Grizzly variable speed wood lathe. Use the faceplate as your bobbin holder iwth double stick tape, and add the tail-stock to hold things tighter if you want. All you have to add is a hole to screw in a rod to set your wire guides on, and a simple counter. It is what I plan to do if I ever have money again! :D

Here's a good resource for that winder idea: Mini VS Lathe Pickup Winder

Chris

Get the cheap (like $150) Grizzly variable speed wood lathe. Use the faceplate as your bobbin holder iwth double stick tape, and add the tail-stock to hold things tighter if you want. All you have to add is a hole to screw in a rod to set your wire guides on, and a simple counter. It is what I plan to do if I ever have money again! :D

Here's a good resource for that winder idea: Mini VS Lathe Pickup Winder

Chris

Yeah tx for the suggestion but I talked to Schwab about that...not going that route. I have a nice 1971 Singer that is going to donate its guts (Leo would be proud). I will get my old man to machine up some parts (see my blog) and try to build a nice machine. The main thing I need to do is get a counter that is programmable (expensive). I am pretty good at getting the right number of winds per rotation but I get mesmerized by the spinning bobbin sometimes and miss my wind count :D .

BTW at no point has the Shatten paid for itself. POS.

I am planning on building a few sets of Diablo prototypes and maybe a set of Destroyers for sale. If anyone is interested in buying a set PM me.

A word to y'all: Get them. RAD makes killer pups. If you're willing to drop retail price for Duncan, DiMarzio, Bare Knuckle, or any other name brand, then you NEED to give his pups a shot.

Thank you for the kind words my friend... John likes them cause I build him crazy stuff.

While you DO build me some crazy stuff, like these surface-mount HBs, they all sound amazing.

Purpleheart HBs - a touch bright, but that's exactly what I asked for. It may have sounded too bright because of the maple/ph neck and 1/2 cherry body. The next ax they're going into will have a sapele body and aluminum neck.

3 mini-HBs - They're in the Firebird. Very smooth with just enough bite.

Blade Strat set - I can't say enough about these. Super powerful singles with all of the snap, attack, and twang that a s/c is supposed to have. They're like a P90, but a lot tighter. Just as much balls, but more definition.

This is what I ended with. Originally I had a more rounded design but it looked bad. The main thing I wanted was a curve that still showed a body line. So after reviewing the first iteration I cut the back of the heel down to create a sharper line so the body outline is still there.

P1130142.jpg

P1130143.jpg

I still have not decided on the electronics for this one... I am not sure what I want. Normally I just do the push/pull but in this case since it is a prototype that will be handed around to different players I am thinking about something more standard.

Maybe a push/pull tap with a 3-way toggle.

Maybe a push/pull pickup selector with a flood switch!

What's a flood switch?

SR

Also called "Blow Switch"

To me a flood switch bypasses the volume knob and wires the bridge pickup straight to the output jack. Of course that removes resistance and ends up being very bright. THere are work arounds... dropping a 500k resister in-line, leaving the volume pot in the loop, etc...

Strat guys used to use them to turn the bridge on when the 5-way was in #2 and get all three pups on at the same time.

Dano's used it for the same purpose

Cool examples though I think completely unloading the circuit is not the best way to go...Diagrams

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...