Guitar Of The Month For August

Guitar of the Month for August  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lots of guitars where close for me this month - but with one or two features that just put me off slightly making it quite easy to choose john's teisco inspired build

rogerabjet - i really love the fretboard on this - its so hard to make something look truly random but i think you managed it quite well. the shape seems too narrow for me, a little wider and teh waist cutouts could ahve been much rounder which would have made the shape appeal to me more... maybe a more exaggerated carving on the base too

notyou - i dont think we would let anyone else get away with that bridge recess :D - but obviously it suits the style. my favorite points are the areas around the controls and the headstock... not so keen on the hardware which i still think should have something done to it - like the ones you have done before or something like this

p2-1.jpg

Muzz - so nearly a winner for me. I absolutely love the blue, the logo and almost all aspects of the design. The heel area is a major turn off for me though. whilst i am sure its massively stable the shape throws off the flow of the upper cutaway and looks quite oversized from the back

avenger63 - i like it a lot - maybe a bit too bling in some areas but it pulls it off nicely. overall the design work is really good, the large plate really suits the body and the cherry blossom looks nowhere near as cheesy as it may have done. still some issues to mention though - like the neck width at the body end and its alignment, less dusty photo's, more care on the fretwork - but i voted because the design is so pleassing to me

jaden - top notch as always. the things i would change are the switch location and the trem backplate. The maple plate highlights the lam coverage to me, some would have put a strip of PH in there - but i think normal black would work too

chops1983 - this would have got my vote really easily if you had entered it with the photo's from your thread. the ones you put up are blurry and dont show the important details. the thing i like th most is the shaping around the back. works brilliantly

Johny - i am astounded with how this conversion turned out! the headstock is a work of art - i like the simplicity of teh body but feel the bridge plate, body shape and f-hole are not working together perfectly just yet. it reminds me a little of an ampeg scroll

Hooglebug - great design on this, a perfect mix of vintage and modern. i think a simpler headstock would have worked better but certainly not a deal breaker. i think really i just dont like the colour that much... although taht may improve in a few years if it yellows up a bit and takes on a greeny hue. i much prefer sea foam green or daphne blue to the paler sonic blues. but a stronger colour would have shown the binding and plate off more, would look cool in lake placid blue or candy apple red. So thets really the only reason i didnt vote for it - i would prefer it in another colour! Oh, and try the cocked wah mod on the esquire wiring

rogerabjet - 'Scarab' : I'm not a fan of the shape at all. The upper horn looks like an accident on a seemingly intended symmetrical guitar. I do like the fingerboard inlay, however.

NotYou - "Abused Blues #1" - I agree with WezV about the pickup covers. I like the design and the artistic relic job. I dig it because the relic here is not about making a guitar look old, but instead giving it a fresh new look.

Muzz - Pointy Stick - I think the neck goes too far into the body, which goes against the principle of the "superstrat" school. And I'm not a superstrat guy so I'm a poor judge when it comes to these kinds of guitars. It's your second body and first neck, so when you think about it, the result is pretty amazing. Congratulations.

avengers63 - The Cherry Blossom - I like the shape and overall funky garage band vibe this guitar has. As usual, there are issues that make me wonder why you seem to insist on producing so many guitars instead of applying yourself to making them cleaner in the finishing touches. I generally like the fact that your builds go all over the place, that you try new things everytime and never rest on your laurels. But the execution really deserves more care. This piece has a lot of charm, but for a craftsman, is that enough?

Jaden - purpleheart original series TT - Maybe the exact opposite of avengers63's build : Classic, conventional shape, very modern and professional looking. Everything looks very tight and clean, as usual.

chops1983 - "Seth" - Magnificent build. Love everything about it. I like the narrow waist which looks very contemporary with the reverse headstock, but with a traditional finish that balance it all together perfectly. Second place for me, tied with Hooglebug's build.

Johny - chambered body nylon string guitar - In my opinion, the most interesting build this month. Not flashy, and not really minimalist, but a guitar you want to pick up and play. The headstock is stunning. Gets my vote.

hooglebug - Holly Esq. #10009 - I also like this one very much. I like it because although it is based on a classic design, the new "interpretation" doesn't look like a knock-off at all. It's a modern tribute that stands its own against the original instrument it is paying tribute to. The one thing that slightly bothers me is the pickguard shape which, to me, isn't quite there yet.

EDIT - I take that back : the pickguard is fine!

Cheers,

A cool month, not a guitar on here i don't like.

Roger: The build quality looks very good and the overall theme and design is really well executed. Me, myself am not a great fan of pointy obscure shape guitars so its not a geet that i would be pulled to play.

Notyou: Im a huge fan of your work mate, guys like you are artists and the way you go about your work is great to watch. Your build methods and approach are inspiring. Cheers!

Muzz: Great fun build thread and a cracking guitar. As Wez has stated, the heel area looks surprisingly big and uncomfortable and it caught my eye straight away. Not sure if it would affect playability too much but just looks a bit off. Change this and it would have been pretty killer all round.

John: I really like this guitar mate. Probably my favourite of all your builds thus far. Your scroll saw work really shows how far you have come with your builds. The only changes for me would be to trim the butt a little, its a little wide for me B) Otherwise, fantastic.

Jaden: Really professional builds you got going on. The cavity covers on the back i would prefer to be plain black or perfect grain matched covers, including the racing stripe in the trem cover, but im being picky really. The switch location for me is wrong also, i would definately knock that whilst playing when i get a bit excited. Congrats on the guitarist reviews aswell, i think they gave you great reviews and i hope you will see that through future orders. :D

Johny: Really stylish build mate, love the soundhole and the overall design. I've never seen an amplified nylon string before and am interested in some sound clips if you have the technology?

Hooglebug: This is your style to a T. Tele inspired but with enough of of a twist to call it an original hoogle. I know you had a few finishing issues so its great to see a fantastic looking build. If i had of voted this month it would have been for this guitar.

As for my photo's, i was a bit too obsessed to get a true indication of the colour of this guitar instead of good focused pics :D . I thought about editing the post but stuck with them in the hope people would check out the build thread. Looks like i lost a vote because of this, so moral of the story... post good pics!!!

Chad.

a lot of great guitars but i had to go with avengers cherry blossom i like those old sixties import guitars they had character to them unlike all the fender and gibson knockoffs that are floating around today.

btw it was close between that one and Johny - chambered body nylon string guitar i loce the sleek clean look of that guitar.

lol kind funny i liked all the busy stuff going on with avengers and i like how sleek Johny's guitar is.

All very interesting builds this month !!

rogerabjet - 'Scarab' : Never been a fan of these kind of shapes. But the implementation is still very clean. Absolutely love the silver "constellation" fretboard inlays.

NotYou - "Abused Blues #1" : Not my thing. A guitar concept that I don't quite understand. I'm definitely a shiny-and-pretty guitar kind of guy.

Muzz - Pointy Stick : Very clean build. The neck goes too much into the body, as has already been said, and the heel seems a bit bulky. Still an impressive build for your 2nd body/1st neck.

avengers63 - The Cherry Blossom : I see a lot of evolution in your builds, so many interesting ideas and nice, fun guitars. Still it is in the details that I think they fall a bit short: the alignment of the pickups, the flow of the pickguard curves. I would make a special mention for the intricate soundhole work: VERY IMPRESSIVE. However the design goes in too many different directions: the elegance of the soundhole, the elaborate inlay and purfling job on the fretboard on the overall funky vibe of the trem, shape, pickup and pickguard configuration.

Jaden - purpleheart original series TT : Clean and professional. My only criticism is about the back covers: it would have been nice to see a better grain matching on the control and battery covers, and the tremolo cover is definitely missing a purpleheart stripe to visually merge with the back.

chops1983 - "Seth" : Obviously my kind of build. Nice original shape, nice carve and beautiful woods. I like the carving of the back a lot too. I think the 12th fret inlay is a bit too big, but the overall guitar design is just great. Gets my vote.

Johny - chambered body nylon string guitar : The most original idea among this months' builds. Great headstock design. I think the plain, understated vibe goes well with the "classic guitar" concept. Don't quite like the soundhole, doesn't quite flow with the body shape. If not for Chop's guitar this one would have gotten my vote.

hooglebug - Holly Esq. #10009 : Very nice esquire !! Not too crazy about the headstock shape, looks a bit too Jetsons to me. But I like the slight departure from the original body shape and the scratchplate design fits the original shape perfectly. Great tribute to a classic, perfect choice of color.

Much better than last month... I will remind everyone "Take better pictures"

rogerabjet - 'Scarab' : I like the Steinberg tuners I think that they help the shape. The shape is not my cup of tea but it is good. I think you could refine it a bit. IMHO (and it is not worth much) the paint kills this build. I would like to see a multiple laminate body with several different color woods (Alembic style) on the next one please. I never saw the build thread... I would like to see a build thread.

NotYou - "Abused Blues #1" - Nice. As always I understand the art in your builds. I am going to say it again... You should reliced the bridge and the pups more. The good thing is you can still fix them. Take the covers off the pups and torch them... and get the little bridge too. Nice build and as always props for doing what you want well.

Muzz - Pointy Stick - This has to be the longest build thread I have ever seen... I bet drinking a few beers by the pool with you would take up several days. All kidding aside I really like your thread and your attitude towards building. The guitar is an excellent build. Design wise there are a few refinements in order (like the heel and the pickgaurd) but you turned out a very nice axe. Good deal... I enjoyed every minute of the build.

avengers63 - The Cherry Blossom - John... I am about to give my opinion on this but want you to know that I still see the progression and improvement every build. This is not one of my favorites of yours. It is ok we are still pals and I think I understand what you were after. I would like to see a bit more unified theme on this one. I think your ability to do different things got you on this one... If you broke it off into 2 different guitars it would have been perfect. No worries still a great guitar and a cool player.

Jaden - purpleheart original series TT - Awesome. I would not expect less. The carve on the top is Excellent. The choice of woods was nice. I bet the finish feels like silk. The frets hurt my eyes to look at. Everything rocks...except the covers in the back... Man I sound like everyone else.

chops1983 - "Seth" - You need better pictures. I voted for this because I followed the build thread and knew what you had done already. This was a master work and a very nice build. I was disappointed when you colored the back and think it was a mistake. But the guitar still wins my vote.

Johny - chambered body nylon string guitar - Excellent. I am going to have to do one... when I get time. I think this is a great build. I am ready for you to do one with a better body shape.

hooglebug - Holly Esq. #10009 - Professional, precise, and almost perfect. You made it very hard to vote for anyone else. This looks like a guitar I could find in a pricey boutique store. I would not change anything and I look forward to the next piece from you.

This was one of the most dificult to choose yet. I went with pointy stick 'cus if they were all lined up it would be the first one I would pick up to play. I don't know how long I would be able to resist switching for one of the others though.

As for my photo's, i was a bit too obsessed to get a true indication of the colour of this guitar instead of good focused pics :D . I thought about editing the post but stuck with them in the hope people would check out the build thread. Looks like i lost a vote because of this, so moral of the story... post good pics!!!

Chad.

Yep, I picket Seth in spite of the pics in this thread not being as good as some of the others I had seen already. I'm really a fan of the top carve on this guitar. That shape along with the color and grain is "just right" to me. Excellent job!

Also loved the headstock detail in particular on Johnny's nylon guitar. That's a very handsome piece and was really close to getting my vote.

Props to Hooglebug, who had a really classy guitar, and Jaden who had a sweet guitar.

But my vote went to the chambered nylon string. The world needs more of these and this one looks pretty cool. The execution is not flawless, but I like the overall vibe.

Oh and, Avengers, that scarf joint accent looks familiar huh? :D

Props to Hooglebug, who had a really classy guitar, and Jaden who had a sweet guitar.

But my vote went to the chambered nylon string. The world needs more of these and this one looks pretty cool. The execution is not flawless, but I like the overall vibe.

Oh and, Avengers, that scarf joint accent looks familiar huh? B)

In good fun I would like to add...

I have been doing something similar for a few years... and thought it was pretty original.

Then I joined here and saw at least 2 examples in the first month and realized :D it wasn't such an original idea after all. Oh well... :D

If I found this month's set of guitars wrapped up under my Christmas tree I would be happier than than a frog let out of a sock, great stuff this month :D

Cheers Akula, Wez, Sunday Luthier, Chops, FireFly, Blackdog, RestorationAD and Workingman for your lovely comments on my efforts, and it's nice to know that if I ever wanted to tweak this weird 60's Japanese style design to something that someone might actually want to buy it would be an easy mod :D

And here I thought I was stealing the idea from RAD.... :D

Yeah and I thought I was being original :D ... at least Corporate Guitar hasn't started doing stuff like that....

I had to look up Daniel's posts to see what he was talking about (man he builds nice guitars B) )... then I remembered going "@$#!@$" "!@#@$!" @!#"@!#@" when I originally joined and saw so many ideas that I thought were original.

Nothing new under the sun. It all comes down to execution. And I am all for it!