Glue For Necks?!

xXMikeXx

Right... Well yeah, i want to know what the best glue for sticking neck laminates together is/?

I spent near 240GBP on some quarter sawn maple and walnut for my necks (Enough to make 5 necks as i had to buy in bulk)

So my question is... What glue should i use? I know the standard go to is Titebond, And if that's the best... Titebond 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks,

Mike.

If you rub the mating pieces together quickly, build up some heat then they will produce an oil which when scraped off, and condensed can be used to bond the wood. Be sure to use the correct types of wood for this of course. The working time of the adhesive is only .004 of a second. Gotta work fast.

-j

There is an adhesive called "EZ Peel", which is designed to temporarily hold stuff together that you want to unstick later. Use some of that, because no matter how hard you try, the darnned stuff just won't let go :D

Titebond 1 or 2 are most popular, some don't like 3, I have used Titebond for many years now, we used it at Gibson, and Heritage. There are still a few Hide Glue fans out there, and I even use it on Cellos and Viols, but Titebond is really the standard type(meaning Alaphatic Resin) used in most shops these days.

• 4 weeks later...
Titebond 1 or 2 are most popular, some don't like 3, I have used Titebond for many years now, we used it at Gibson, and Heritage. There are still a few Hide Glue fans out there, and I even use it on Cellos and Viols, but Titebond is really the standard type(meaning Alaphatic Resin) used in most shops these days.

Finally... An actual answer... Cheers. That's just what i thought.

Although i did enjoy reading through some of the more amusing comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally... An actual answer... Cheers. That's just what i thought.

Although i did enjoy reading through some of the more amusing comments.

Except it's wrong regarding Titebond II. Killemall gave you the right one up top, ie: Titbeond Original.

Hot hide is used extensively in the (custom) acoustic guitar world, epoxy and CA have their places, but for all the wood to wood joints, pretty much, Titebond original is the way to go.l