What To Look For In Used Band Saw

Workingman

Having checked my budget I am not going to be able to get a new band saw. My local Craig's List has a 16" Delta with a floor stand that looks from the phots to be in fair shape. The owner says he will take $150 for it. Can the more experianced tool mavens here give me some ideas about how I should check it out to be sure that it works properly. Also what I should bring (e.g. small carpenterrs square etc.). Many thanks

First thing, turn it on and make sure the blade runs without falling off the wheels(making sure tension is correct) Second, look for rust on the wheels, guides, table, table carraige, inside cabinet. Minor surface rust is not too much worry, but heavy rest is tell tale, depending on where. Make sure when running the machine sounds like it's running smoothly, no scraping or chatter from the motor or wheels. Make sure the guides function properly, loosen both sides and back, Top and bottom, to make sure of moving freely(adjustability) and check wear on guides, you can always buy new Carter guides at worst. From there it's just common sense.

Just take your time, and if it doesn't feel right, trust your gut. Bandsaws are always comming up, ebay, Craigs List, Newspaper, Woodworkers sites. Google " bandsaw used" you will get links for woodworker sites with classifieds, these are great sources also. Good Luck

Some things to look for.

14" or over (93 1/2" blade plus)

Lots of steel not aluminum (weigth is everything)

Big motor 3/4hp or better

bearings on the wheels turn freely (they spin easily with no bland on it) with no crunchy sounds.

The thing runs, rust can be removed. Many people buy beat up heavy duty bandsaws and refurbish them (see OWWM.com). Depends on how fast you need the machine and how much money you can spend over time. I would rather buy a better machine and fix it than be stuck some some cheap machine.