Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

New videos added. Parts 15 thru 17 cover adding the fretboard, frets, binding, inlays and strings. Also shadows and reflections for the strings. I also changed the video format to widescreen and achieved better quality so they're easier to watch.

Guitar Design in Photoshop

Peace,

Mark

New videos added. Parts 15 thru 17 cover adding the fretboard, frets, binding, inlays and strings. Also shadows and reflections for the strings. I also changed the video format to widescreen and achieved better quality so they're easier to watch.

Peace,

Mark

Wow!! Very cool thread!

I now know how I'll be spending my day :D

Peace,

Mark

Wow!! Very cool thread!

I now know how I'll be spending my day :D

Cool! Be sure to share your results with us.

Peace,

Mark

Peace,

Mark

Well, here it is :

rendering2_essai2.jpg

It took me a very LONG time to make, and it's really not too pretty up close, but I am very happy with the result, I learned a lot about Photoshop, and will definitely give the tutorial a second look for all the stuf I missed.

Oh, and I forgot to put a nut on my headstock ;-) (EDIT : corrected!)

Cheers,

Peace,

Mark

Well, here it is :

rendering2_essai2.jpg

It took me a very LONG time to make, and it's really not too pretty up close, but I am very happy with the result, I learned a lot about Photoshop, and will definitely give the tutorial a second look for all the stuf I missed.

Oh, and I forgot to put a nut on my headstock ;-) (EDIT : corrected!)

Cheers,

Wow! Nice work. That ia a very interesting design. If I'm reading the image correctly, the resonator is chrome? If so, you could bring a touch closer to realistic by using a gradient with some light blues and brown added to the black and white. Or add another layer of just blues then transfer it onto the existing with a random layer mask. In an upcoming video, I'll be covering how to make chrome in various situations.

Excellent job! Glad the vids were helpful.

Peace,

Mark

Wow! Nice work. That ia a very interesting design. If I'm reading the image correctly, the resonator is chrome? If so, you could bring a touch closer to realistic by using a gradient with some light blues and brown added to the black and white. Or add another layer of just blues then transfer it onto the existing with a random layer mask. In an upcoming video, I'll be covering how to make chrome in various situations.

Excellent job! Glad the vids were helpful.

Peace,

Mark

Thanks! The resonator is a picture. With my limited photoshop knowledge , I think I'd probably make it worse with a gradient or other...

Now that the hard part is done, this can get really fun! :

rendering4_essai2.jpg

rendering5_essai2.jpg

Just to prove that every day is a school day.

I *thought* I had PS skills....

The-6-OLD.jpg

Until Mark's tutorials showed me the way:

The-6.jpg

yes, pretty impressive progress. You might want to see what it looks like with the saturation turned down a bit and with maybe a gray background though. The top kinda gets lost and so does the grain... It would probably help to have a light source as well, just so everything doesnt have the same value.

You might want to see what it looks like with the saturation turned down a bit and with maybe a gray background though. The top kinda gets lost and so does the grain... It would probably help to have a light source as well, just so everything doesnt have the same value.

That's like saying "you might want to see what Run to the Hills sounds like with the volume turned down."

:D :D

(except that you're right, of course)

The-6-1.jpg

You might want to see what it looks like with the saturation turned down a bit and with maybe a gray background though. The top kinda gets lost and so does the grain... It would probably help to have a light source as well, just so everything doesnt have the same value.

That's like saying "you might want to see what Run to the Hills sounds like with the volume turned down."

:D :D

(except that you're right, of course)

The-6-1.jpg

I know what you mean, but all kinds of "loud" colors tend to detract from the actual design and it becomes an abstract piece of artwork instead. Although, in your original "revamp" had you just put the back ground gradation going the other direction that would have helped too simply due to the amount of contrast it would have added to the body. Looks better but now your carve top reflections look like they could use a boost. Dont be afraid to use WHITE here.

Edited by MuffinPunch

Great tutorial, I learned a lot!

Hey Nick. Glad you found it useful. Your mockups look very nice!

I just posted another video on YouTube...it's not about guitar design but has guitars in it. It's a virtual concert stage composite that was done with 2D & 3D elements.

Here's a link to the project page.

Concert Composite in After Effects.

Peace,

Mark

It's a virtual concert stage composite that was done with 2D & 3D elements.

Nice Mark! You might want to hit f9 on those camera move keyframes to ease in and out - makes the motion a little smoother.

It's a virtual concert stage composite that was done with 2D & 3D elements.

Nice Mark! You might want to hit f9 on those camera move keyframes to ease in and out - makes the motion a little smoother.

Yeah, I'm up on all that. I was in a hurry and rendered my Lightwave frames without easing the camera, So I just went with it in AE.

The project was done over 2 years ago and I wanted to go in and clean it up but all my QT reference movies for the GS footage had been deleted and I didn't have time to lock everything back up...so it stayed as is. :D

Peace,

Mark

Very nice green on the quilted maple body. Would be great to have one turn out that nice.

A few days ago, I decided to make a couple of mock-ups in Photoshop to get an idea of different finishes on a guitar I'm working on. I was glad the tutorial was still there !

I figured I might as well do some of my other designs for good practice.

Here's what I managed :

rookieb-rendering.jpg

bumbleb-rendering.jpg

honeyb-rendering.jpg

queenb-rendering.jpg

This tutorial rocks !