Acoustic Reccomendation?

tjiscooler

Hey guys. I currently do not own an acoustic and kinda feel like a need one. Ya know to play sappy songs for girls and stuff :D Can anyone recommend a nice guitar at around or under id say 600 bucks? I dont know jack about them except that taylor is supposed to be awesome. Also, should I stray away from 12 strings for my first??

ps, im thinking just acoutstic, no pickups.

Thanks TJ

I woud caution you on Taylor. I know two people who recently had problems with tops cracking and Taylor was awefull about doing repair work under waranty. I know that is a small sampling but I mentioned it to my brother who teaches guitar and he knew a few people who had problems also. Please note this is not personal experiance and if you love your Taylor great.

I have found Takamine to be a good value in that price range. Martin can be expensive but they stand behind their product like just about nobody else.

Hey guys. I currently do not own an acoustic and kinda feel like a need one. Ya know to play sappy songs for girls and stuff :D Can anyone recommend a nice guitar at around or under id say 600 bucks? I dont know jack about them except that taylor is supposed to be awesome. Also, should I stray away from 12 strings for my first??

ps, im thinking just acoutstic, no pickups.

Thanks TJ

My son has been looking for a new acoustic guitar and Yamaha makes a hand made guitar that is getting good reviews. The model he is looking at is the LL16. Here is a couple of reviews on that model. The only trouble he has is the guitar isn't available locally to try so that might put it out of the running at least for him.

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=24782

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=119597

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=153064

Yamaha also sells another handmade model a LL6 that is not quite as good but a lot cheaper about $500.

The the LL16 12 string runs about $799 and the 6 string is $50 cheaper. It's more than you probably want to pay but a good deal for a hand made guitar. harmonycentral.com has user reviews on guitars try there.

:D

Art & Luthier makes some amazing instruments for under 600.

I bought mine from some chick for 60 dollars. It was pretty grimy and dirty lookin, so I cleaned it up good, changed the strings, and now this thing sounds better than any other guitar I've picked up in any of the shops I've been to.

I call it my "slut guitar" because of the previous owner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I woud caution you on Taylor. I know two people who recently had problems with tops cracking and Taylor was awefull about doing repair work under waranty. I know that is a small sampling but I mentioned it to my brother who teaches guitar and he knew a few people who had problems also. Please note this is not personal experiance and if you love your Taylor great.

I have found Takamine to be a good value in that price range. Martin can be expensive but they stand behind their product like just about nobody else.

Taylor makes really great quality instruments in my experience, and I'm quite partial to their sound. 9 times out of 10, cracking tops are due to users not taking proper care of their acoustic instruments; airconditioned and heated homes with temperatures and humidity flying all over the map will crack a top in no time flat, and that's the guitar owner's fault.

Taylor makes really great quality instruments in my experience, and I'm quite partial to their sound. 9 times out of 10, cracking tops are due to users not taking proper care of their acoustic instruments; airconditioned and heated homes with temperatures and humidity flying all over the map will crack a top in no time flat, and that's the guitar owner's fault.

I agree that is often the case. But, in at least the one case I know the guy and he is very careful, not only keeping the guitar cased with a humidifier in the heating months but using one in his studio as well. Taylor gave him some serious hassles asking him to prove that he had done so.