Entry for February 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Workingman

Bbq And Blues

Time to fire it up?

SR

Not yet, still have to wire everything up. I haven't decided on the box for the controls yet or how I want to mount them. Hopefully, within the next day or so I will test it. :)

MK

edited to add: Interior now done, need to add door seal and finish control wiring and mounting. :)

smoker11a.jpg

So here is the controller box. Still needs to be sealed and painted. Also I still need to make the cable for it. This way it is detachable and can be stored out of the weather.

I have tested the controller and tuned it. It will keep the temp within a +/- 5 degrees. I'm very happy with that. :)

cb1.jpg

Well it's Saturday. :) First test with meat. :) A small Picnic Shoulder and one rack of spare ribs. So far all looks good. Oh and some JJ Cale and Clapton

smk5a.jpg

smk5b.jpg

These just came off, Damn they're good, no rub, just a light pepper and salt. Then Pecan wood with a touch of applewood. HMMMMMMM!! GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!

ribs.jpg

That looks good. Last nights show Trucks Tedeschi was great. Dicki Betts from the Allman Bros. joined them for a few tunes. I never was an Allman's fan but he played some very tasty guitar.

Bravo Mike! JJ Cale and Clapton will git'er-done every time.

I'm jealous Nevin. I'd love to see that show and Dicky Betts too. I've always loved his stuff and always have been an Allmans fan. I never thought about it back in the day....but the majority of their stuff is pure blues.

SR

Have some Kenny Wayne Shepherd, because I feel like it.
http://youtu.be/9GXpbWrxfEE

I met him once in the guitar shop I worked in back in high school, back when no one knew who he was. He just walked in (he had a show in town), grabbed a guitar off the wall, sat down, plugged it in, & started playing. My old boss couldn't stop asking him how he was related to Johnny Winter.

The pit is smokin'

and the brisket is soakin'

up that tasty tangy flavor.

No blues or brews yet.......

but soon, very soon.

:)

SR

The pit is smokin'

but soon, very soon.

SR

Add a few more lines and some Pinetop Perkins on piano and you have a hit. :D

Getting a well needed soaking rain here. :) Should last most of the night into Sunday a.m. So I won't be doing any Q this weekend.

The pit is smokin'

but soon, very soon.

SR

Add a few more lines and some Pinetop Perkins on piano and you have a hit. :D

Amen brother.

Someone pitch in and add a few lines.

SR

The pit is smokin'

but soon, very soon.

Their will be tasty brews

and tasty tunes

to help with our labor

I made some changes to the smoker. I relocated the heat element. I found I had cold spots that were not exceptable. I have now finished 4 hours of testing and things are MUCH better now. :) yes there are some variances but well within range now.

Unless Weather sucks, maybe a brisket this weekend. :)

Brisket just came off the smoker. I'm not super happy with it though. The smoke generator when loaded to full, stopped about midway through it's burn. So only got half of the intended smoke. I left a lot of Fat on intentionally for the first brisket so as not to burn it up overnight. 13.5 hours and it toothpicks like soft butter so the heat was right on. Ribs have been on now about 2 hours, will recheck them in 2 hours. then throw some sausage on for good measure. :)

I'll get some pics up soon.

Decided to do this before the COLD Front arrives this evening. :)

Mike

You are going to just have to eat some of that brisket before you can pronounce final judgement on it.

That front is not supposed to make it here till tomorrow night. Must be a slow mover.

SR

You are going to just have to eat some of that brisket before you can pronounce final judgement on it.

That front is not supposed to make it here till tomorrow night. Must be a slow mover.

SR

Well final judgement, Not bad, actually overcooked a bit, and slightly undersmoked. If I had trimmed it some it may have been spot on except the overcook, That's me not checking on them when I should have. The ribs are terrible, ST Louis Style, WAY TO MUCH FAT!! Damn I hate those vacupacs. YOU can't really see what you are buying. One thing's for sure it will not be ST Louis cuts again. I have 2 more racks in the freezer, they will get some trimming done first and then fed to the neighbors dog or the shop guys. LOL!!!

I won't even dignify these with pictures. LOL!!

Oh well, I'm still getting this thing tuned in so I expect some mediocre stuff at first. :)

MK