Entry for February 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Workingman

Bbq And Blues

Well that settles it. I've got one half rack left from last weekend as well, and you've just insured that it will not survive the night. I can almost smell that second pic.

SR

Well that settles it. I've got one half rack left from last weekend as well, and you've just insured that it will not survive the night. I can almost smell that second pic.

SR

Yessiree!! Man I like vacuum bagging. :) It sure makes for better usage of good smoked meats. Being able to reheat without cooking it more truly is economically sound and damn good eats. Most likely wil pull out another half rack for the games today. :)

I made some fajitas on Saturday which came out awesome if I don't say so myself.

What I'm even more proud of was the batch of charro beans I made to go with them. I cut up a package of thick sliced bacon to 1" lengths and smoked them along with 5 whole jalapenos with the top end opened up so the the inside could absorb the smoke. 2 lbs of pintos got seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, fresh cilantro, a splash each of mojo criollo and mojo chipotle, and two jars of salsa. Plus the aforementioned smoked bacon and jalapenos which added just the right amount of smoky flavor.

Fine, fine stuff. I did forget however, that two lbs of pintos makes about 5 gallons....... :D

SR

Chili would be really good about now. I've had a bowl of these beans every day so far, and I'm still impressed with them if I don't say so myself. I think we may actually have a bottle of Beeno in the house....it's been there a long time and remains unopened.

Hey, I'm a sharing kind of guy! :D

SR

I cooked a pot of beans two days ago myself.It came out well.I always add bellpeppers and onions to the pot about an hour before it's done because it seems to neutralize most of the "gas effects"...a little trick my ex passed on to me from her Aunt.

I didn't know that. I honestly haven't noticed any extra "bad spirits", that's what my Mexican co-workers call those special gas effects--from this pot of beans. It could be because of the quart and a half of salsa that's in them. Plenty of onions and peppers (some of them could be bellpeppers, I suppose) are involved in this batch for sure.

SR

Yeah rotel is good stuff. I do the same. A pot of chili gets two cans, sometimes three. Since these were supposed to be charro beans and needed a Mexican flavor, I thought I'd give salsa a try. I'm glad I did.

SR

Yeah,that's another thing my ex got me into.I used to make chili with simply ground beef/sirloin strips/brisket strips/chuck strips/beans/and a bunch of different peppers,but she said it was too dry for her.Said her Aunt always added tomatoes,so we compromised with ro-tel and I have to admit it adds a lot of flavor to it.

Apparently her Aunt was her mentor in a lot of things and I had to change some of my cooking to comply.Of course since her Aunt was a good cook it was no big deal.Ironically her Aunt was much more open to different ideas.

Nevin, I could have sworn you told us you were working at a French restaurant .....or something along those lines, a while back. Is that still going on? If so, how is it going?

SR

My First Brisket went on last night using the new PID controller. Wife picked this 16lber up, She had a $5.00 off coupon.

Salt and pepper rub only, using hickory. it went on at 9:00pm, will run all night and finish off sometime Friday. Will start at 200* and see what happens, fat side down. :)
Mike

It's 9:30am and it's at 168* still have a while. :)

bris3.jpg

bris2.jpg

bris1.jpg

Damn..........I want to make a fire. It is supposed to rain here this weekend so I'm going to hold off.

But damn.

SR

Hey mike why fat side down?

It's a vertical smoker, Thus the bottom burns and gets too crispy. :)

Damn..........I want to make a fire. It is supposed to rain here this weekend so I'm going to hold off.

But damn.

SR

Yep that's why I did mine last night and today, Rain Saturday, and Sunday

There really isn't one "right way" tro cook a brisket.I put ther fat side down always because I prefer the meat to be leaner.Those supermarket briskets have so much fat all through them that it hardly matters...

There really isn't one "right way" tro cook a brisket.I put ther fat side down always because I prefer the meat to be leaner.Those supermarket briskets have so much fat all through them that it hardly matters...

If you trim it before cooking you loose a lot of fat. In a side draft smoker I trim the fat to about 1/4" and put it fat side up. :)

If you trim it before cooking you loose a lot of fat. In a side draft smoker I trim the fat to about 1/4" and put it fat side up. :)

Yup, me too.

SR