First Build

A couple of years ago I built my first guitar....essentially to see if I could, and to give me something to learn to play on. I had been doing wood carvings for a number of years, and my friend Hook was impressed enough with them and knew of my love of guitars and blues rock guitar playing to challenge me to build one. I got Hiscock's book and Oakham's book and read up on the process. I got some wood and put together a mockup with no particular measurements--just my eyeballing--but with the intention of learning the neck join and top and body join and so forth. The next year I built one. I made my share of mistakes and learned plenty of lessons, but it came out nice enough for Hook to comission me to build one for him: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40410

As is probably evident from that thread, I knew nothing about forums and particularly did not know that his site existed.

Anyway, I decided to take some shots of my first and post them up and let you guys take your best shots at it before I start my third in a month or so. There were no progress shots, but the construction is pretty much the same as Hook's, with the deep tenon.

Specs:

Neck: Jatoba

Body: African Mahogany

Top: Maple

Fretboard: Bocote

Tuners: Gotoh 510

PUPs: Seymore Duncan JB and Jazz

Bridge: Kahler

The top and back are both carved and it has a faux (sp)binding.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

SR

Thanks Killemall for the inspiration to use grass although mine is not as nice as his....lawn or build.

SR

LIES! That is a very nice guitar!!! ESPECIALLY for a first guitar. I made about 25 before i made one that looked even close to that nice...

YES! the grass shots are catching on!

If that one gets jealous when the new one is built I think I can find it a good home by the sea with lots of other guitars to play with.

B

It might. When are we going to see some of those others that it maybe could play with...at Phil Collins' place aka "Home By The Sea"?

SR

The tiny glimpses you have thrown up have looked quite nice.

Thanks guys.

CBG, I've always enjoyed your garden.

WM and Muzz, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

SR

Thats cool. Realy realy cool. Not as cool as the bear (thats gona take some beating :D ) but still seriously cool

Lovin the carved back. Bit of a fan of carved backs, think we need more of them.

Thanks guys.

CBG, I've always enjoyed your garden.

WM and Muzz, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

SR

Thats cool. Realy realy cool. Not as cool as the bear (thats gona take some beating B) ) but still seriously cool

Lovin the carved back. Bit of a fan of carved backs, think we need more of them.

Thanks Paulie.

You came to mind when I commented on carved backs. I entended to point out your builds as one place we can find them regularly....and very well done at that. I think my brains are leaking out or something :D .

:D

Maybe I can teach Ol' Bear to play rhythm.

SR