Grizzly Radiusing Jig

MrMuckle

• 2 weeks later...

The manual says it can make them as small as 8": that would be an interesting radius!. I have the luthier's cool tool plans and expect to build it this winter. I think its one of the most economical way of getting a compound radius. It very accurate, too.

The manual says it can make them as small as 8": that would be an interesting radius!. I have the luthier's cool tool plans and expect to build it this winter. I think its one of the most economical way of getting a compound radius. It very accurate, too.

If you can share if allowed how exactly does this work ?, I can't seem to get my head around the concept but if it is a good set-up I will invest in some plans. :D

Edited by Kammo1

If you can share if allowed how exactly does this work ?, I can't seem to get my head around the concept but if it is a good set-up I will invest in some plans. :D

Here is the jig I made using the Grizzly style. Only this is over a router table. It will do a compound radius from 6" to 20" A little overkill and it will be a thick fretboard if you know what I mean. But a 8 to 12 is very doable :D

I did not finish part two as I have since gone to CNC so you will need to use some imagination from the pics of the original to make it. It's not difficult. Also this takes up less space than most other jigs as it can be taken apart. B)

Link to Radiusing jig

If you have questions just ask, I still pop in here now and again. B)

MK

It works by creating the center point of the circle on two sides. Each side is at a different setting to make the compount radius FB. So a 16" x 7.25" cpmpound radius would be set at 16" on one end and 7.25" on the other.

So you lay the FB onto the belt (You need a big belt) attached to the bottom of the swing arm. then adjust the pins on the swing arm as mentioned in the example above, form the top of the belt, using your fb in line as part of the measurement process.

It works by creating the center point of the circle on two sides. Each side is at a different setting to make the compount radius FB. So a 16" x 7.25" cpmpound radius would be set at 16" on one end and 7.25" on the other.

So you lay the FB onto the belt (You need a big belt) attached to the bottom of the swing arm. then adjust the pins on the swing arm as mentioned in the example above, form the top of the belt, using your fb in line as part of the measurement process.

I think that's what my jig does LOL :D

I mean really , this is not rocket science guys. It's basic geometry and trig. :D

mk

George not an attack at you B)

This Grizzly Radiusing Jig: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Fretboard-...ment-Only/G0577

...can do a compound radius from 10" to 16". Can this be modified to 7.25" ? I don't have the wherewithal to know if this is possible.

You could build one of these(scroll down the page a bit) : http://www.luthierscooltools.com/Dwgs.htm

Anyone know how this jig works? The picture doesn't really show anything. I'm trying to decide between the various different designs and I'd like to know what this jig's approach is.

This Grizzly Radiusing Jig: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Fretboard-...ment-Only/G0577

...can do a compound radius from 10" to 16". Can this be modified to 7.25" ? I don't have the wherewithal to know if this is possible.

You could build one of these(scroll down the page a bit) : http://www.luthierscooltools.com/Dwgs.htm

Anyone know how this jig works? The picture doesn't really show anything. I'm trying to decide between the various different designs and I'd like to know what this jig's approach is.

The platform that the fretboard is attached to swings side to side. It's basically an upside-down version of the other jigs that have been posted.

I made a similar one, but it rides through my thickness sander.

All radius jigs rely in some shape or form on distance and swing. I have made rough swing jis and a post was done here on what some have made. The biggest differene with the grizzly and using an 80" belt is you can do the whole FB in one shot. Most other methonds require you to move the jig or a router and cut incrementaly. The result is les than ideal as transistion marks usually occor and the board will need final sanding to remove the marks. A single belt has none of these drawacks.

As far as design its not rocket science. Room to swing and adjustable piviot points. Anyone with welding skills can make an arn similar to the grizzly.

The platform that the fretboard is attached to swings side to side. It's basically an upside-down version of the other jigs that have been posted.

I made a similar one, but it rides through my thickness sander.

Would love to see some pics if you will :D

Would mounting the Grizzly jig at an angle give you a greater radius? If you mounted the neck side an inch lower on the edge sander than specified by the manual, but kept the bridge side where it's supposed to go, would you now have a 9" and 16" compound radius?

A radius is a radius. Does not matter how you mount it you are still going to measure off the top of the belt or whatever you are using to cut through the wood.The problem with thegrizzly jig is the limite adjustability, you can enlongate slot in the swing arms or custom drill holes 6" off the surface into the swing arms. Its all about where the pin is reletave to the cutting surface. Nothing else matters. If you offset the jig at an angle to the centerline it may not look like a FB whem its finished..