Emg-hz 7 String Pickup Wiring

MuffinPunch

So ive searched the forum for responses to similar problems, but my specific problem doesnt seem to be common. Im having trouble wiring my 7 string build, due to the fact that I dont really know much about electronics and because the parts im using for the wiring are slightly different from those pictured in the wiring diagrams I have found. Im using 2 EMG-HZ 707 pickups (passive) and a prewired EMG vol/tone pot package connecting to a 3 way selector switch and a flush mount stereo jack. The prewird kit includes 2 quick-connect wires which are pre-soldered at the green and bare wires and at the black and white wires. Heres the diagram Ive been referring to:

h-h.jpg

One thing I dont understand is what to do with the black and white wires coming from the pickups which are soldered together. The diagram shows them just hanging there, but Im sure im supposed to ground one of them or something...

Also, the 3 way selector switch is a different variety from the one in the diagram and has all the pins on the same side. Every other pair of pins is connected by a small band of metal from the stamping. it looks like this:

100_5608.jpg

Could anyone tell me which pins correspond to the ones in the diagram? Also, the flush mount jack is pretty non-descriptive when trying to determine which pin is the sleeve, the ring, and the tip, so any help there would also be greatly appreciated. Here is what the jack looks like:

100_5612.jpg100_5613.jpg

these images are taken of identical parts meant to go in my other 7 string build. The parts im referring to are already installed in the guitar and I wired them up to the best of my understanding before posting this... I have also spent a good couple of hours trouble shooting on my own to no avail which is why im turning to you guys. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by MuffinPunch

I take the lack of responses to mean one of two things: Either no one has a clue how to help me, or nobody cares enough even acknowledge that they have noticed my post at all. Im banking on the first one as people have always been very helpful on this forum and I expect that if any of you had any clue what I need to do, you wouldnt hesitate to offer help.

But, at the risk of sounding redundant, I really would appreciate any advice whatsoever regarding any of this so that I can finally put this project to bed. I have no doubt that many of you have had experience using one or more of these components on a project before, so as implied, any info you can lend me is greatly appreciated. If you have need for more information in order to lend advice I can gladly provide at the drop of a hat. Like I stated previously, my knowledge of electronics is very limited. In fact this (as you might have gathered) is my very first guitar wiring exercise. Thanks again.

Edited by MuffinPunch

don't know diddly about the EMGs, but as far as the jack goes, general standard seems to be that the outside arm is ground, the shortest is positive/tip and whatever you have left is ring.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...utput_Jack.html

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...Jack?sku=363051

don't know diddly about the EMGs, but as far as the jack goes, general standard seems to be that the outside arm is ground, the shortest is positive/tip and whatever you have left is ring.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...utput_Jack.html

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/pro...Jack?sku=363051

Thanks Tom, thats what I figured as well. Its seems to be the logical solution anyway, so I wired it accordingly. Unfortunately the issue still isnt resolved so Im guessing the problem lies in the connection to the selector switch, or the mysterious hanging white and black wires from the pickups. As far as I can tell the only difference between passive EMGs and other passives pickups is that the EMGs have a "quick connect" cable so its easier to replace the pickup itself without having to mess with the wiring again (assuming your switching to a different set of passive EMGs that is) and that 25k pots are used instead of 250k or higher which is more regularly used in guitar wiring. As I stated, im using a prewired pot set from EMG:

100_5606.jpg

So that part is is set. Its connecting the pickup wires to the switch and output that im having trouble with...

How many wires come from the pickups?

If there are 4 wires:

Basically the 2 tied together are probably coil end wires. They are supposed to be tied together for full on HB. You can use a switch to ground them causing a coil tap.

If you take an ohm meter and get a reading between the 2 leads you should get 14K+ that is full HB mode. Now take the meter and test between the pairs until you get a reading that is half the total... 7k or so... that is a coil.

The short lead from the jack should be the hot lead and hte longest one should be the ground. It is a stereo jack. If you take your ohm meter and plug in a guitar cable you can put one lead on the end and test the leads until it rings out (shows 0) that will help you figure it out.

I need a side shot of the selector switch to help with it.