Another Rusty One

What finish?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm mainly starting this because I'm facing a dilemma. I'm trying to finish this quickly, but I don't know what to do.

My plan was to make this finish look similar to this:

DSCF5459.jpg

I began the rusting process and I like how it's turning out without the paint. I have a guy interested in buying it and he likes it too. I've never tried this kind of "finish" before (with the paint, that is; I've done the rust before) and since I like it how it is, I don't know if I want to risk it. If I leave it rust only, the hardware will black iron with light rust, so it'll match, but not be monotone looking.

Here's how it looks right now:

44354_431568655137_183692040137_4815560_1833728_n.jpg

44354_431568650137_183692040137_4815559_1058871_n.jpg

46130_431568270137_183692040137_4815521_2916846_n.jpg

44354_431568645137_183692040137_4815558_5514640_n.jpg

I did the body before glueing the neck for a few reasons due to the unusual finish. I don't want to get into that right now. I'm really just wanting some opinions on my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

I've used wax when doing multiple layers of paint on furniture. If you built up large sections of wax and paint over it, you can sand it down once it's dry. Or peel it back. Or use a heat gun. Whatever floats your boat.

There's a lot more texture to the sample than the guitar. I am interested to see how it would look in the flat areas.

That's for the input everyone. I've made up my mind... I'm sort of doing both :D

I'm going to leave it with just the rust, but I'm going to make the hardware match that tailpiece. If you look closely in that photo, there's some red paint that's worn away. I'm going to mimic that on the rest of the hardware and probably part of the neck as well (away from where you would touch). That will give it just a little bit of color, but it'll subtly give the impression of age and weathering. I might put a very little bit on the body too, but I haven't decided yet. I'll see how it comes out, then go from there.

It took me a while, but I'm happy with that decision. My builds tend to move away from my normal plans a lot. One of the in-progress guitars on my site just go hollowed out and is getting a different top, even though it's always been planned as a solid body with no top. It didn't seem "right" to me. It took a while to realize it, though.

Edited by NotYou

This looks awesome.

How are you going to seal it? It looks like it wants a little shellac to me.

SR

I never thought about using shellac on it, but that might actually look nice. It'd give the color a little more warmth.

I have to coat with an acid blocking acrylic layer before I put on the "real" finish. The chemical that ultimately makes the rust is made with sulphuric acid and it'll eat through and yellow plastic finishes over time. I was just planning on using thin clear finish like a matte polyurethane. Just something to protect it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't updated this in a longtime. I'm on my iPhone at my shop, so I'll keep this short for now. I can into detail later, if anybody wants.

Here's some progress shots. The last one is a quick mockup taken this morning:

http://img259.imageshack.us/i/imagelh.jpg/

http://img253.imageshack.us/i/imageyh.jpg/

http://img163.imageshack.us/i/imageilq.jpg/

If a mod could make those images for me I'd appreciate it. I'm on my phone and can't do it.

imagelh.jpg

imageyh.jpg

imageilq.jpg

Edited by MexicanBreed
Phew!

You know, I'm totally anti-relic as a rule.

I mean, I try to keep guitars I've had for 25 years looking like brand new as much as I can...

and the ones I've built definitely get their regular maintenance to keep them ship-shape.

...and you are like...SUPER MONDO relic-man.

To the point of Relic Insanity...:D

...But I love the way this is coming out, you certainly have found your 'niche' without a doubt,

and that is not an easy thing to do.

It's definable as your work, it's very artistic, it's current, it's thought out, it's savvy.

I just feel like when I put it down I'd need a can of WD-40 to wash the rust off of me. :D

But I for one love it. B) B) :P

Thanks, to both of you!

(and thank you mexicanbreed for fixing my photos!)

but are u gonna rust up the bridge some??

Here's a photo of the bridge up close. It used to be chrome, but a little chemestry fixed that.

http://destroyallguitars.com/images/PfeisterRustyOct10-4.jpg

PfeisterRustyOct10-4.jpg

Edited by NotYou

You know, I'm totally anti-relic as a rule.

I mean, I try to keep guitars I've had for 25 years looking like brand new as much as I can...

and the ones I've built definitely get their regular maintenance to keep them ship-shape.

...and you are like...SUPER MONDO relic-man.

To the point of Relic Insanity...:D

...But I love the way this is coming out, you certainly have found your 'niche' without a doubt,

and that is not an easy thing to do.

It's definable as your work, it's very artistic, it's current, it's thought out, it's savvy.

I just feel like when I put it down I'd need a can of WD-40 to wash the rust off of me. :D

But I for one love it. B) B) :P

I really dont consider what NotYou and Orgmorg do as relicing they may go through some of the process but i consider there work more of an expression of art than a simple relic job.

btw really cool.

I really dont consider what NotYou and Orgmorg do as relicing

No,I would sat that this is a relic...making a brand new guitar look as if it is(in this case) 1000 years old is the very definition of a relic job...of course it is still art.Even John's corvus is technically art.Of course this is a bit more involved.

Orgmorg's is not really relic-ing I think. ..those are themed guitars...a barnyard theme maybe?

Both make cool guitars