Another Rusty One

What finish?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yeah but to me when you say the term "reliced guitar" i am thinking of a guitar that is made to be passes off as a guitar that has years of play wear and road abuse to it where NotYou doesnt do that. he just makes it look old and rusty.

I agree. The term "relic" is IMHO a bit derogatory, as it's goal is to pass something for something it is not. In this case a guitar that's seen it's share of road tear. It's pretty much a lie... a pretty kitsch one at that... like fake wood flooring.

NotYou's approach is completely different. He doesn't want to make his guitars look like something they're not. The rust treatment is there for esthetic and artistic reasons. To me, it has nothing to do with "relics".

Cheers,

I actually began to make guitars like that because I don't like relics. The idea at first was to make guitars that lode abused and neglected, rather than worn down from being played. It's was sort of "post-relic". It eventually evolved into this.

I should have the real photos in a little bit. I'm finishing up fretting right now. Just taking a lunch break.

I agree that theme or motif is a better way to describe the guitars rather than relic. This particular one looks like it was raised from a ship 60 years underwater. What I am most impressed with in your work is how eye-catching design and functionality are combined. I am drawn to the subtleties of the shapes first. If that lottery ticket ever has the right numbers…

I totally agree that relic is not really the correct term, I didn't know the actual word would be taken so literally. :D

But I agree, it's not a relic, I just couldn't think of a better term at the moment to use to describe how very different in design aesthetic it is from what I do and my 'keep it looking new at any cost' philosophy that I adhere to, but at the same time how much I like it and what you do, that was the only point to be made. :D

Thanks for the comments again, everyone.

I like "apocalypsed".

Here are the photos from yesterday. I thought i'd never get that finish done. I expected it to be a day or two to finish it up, but it took the entire week.

Here are some of the photos. here.

DSC_2881_1.jpg

DSC_2882_1.jpg

DSC_2837_1.jpg

DSC_2844_1.jpg

DSC_2751_1.jpg

...Tho I'd hate to have to put that on every headstock. :D

ahhhh c'mon that bit's easy. After Judgement day there would be no written language just logos and symbols. So, it would have to be a mushroom cloud inlay with an A-bomb silhouette.

I can see the poster now... Arnie with half a metal face standing on a pile of skulls, strumming a tune on one of these cool guitars :D

Man this thing is awe inspiring.

I have been around the art community all my life. generally I can do anythng I try or reproduce anything I see, As good or better than the original (I know how that sounds, but if you can do it then its not bragging). Its not easy to realy impress me, I can count on one hand the number of times iv encountered something & tought "I wish I could do that" & know I couldent if I tried. I have to admit to this being one of those times.

You made my day,

Thank you. :D

Thanks for the comments! :D

I have a couple others that are almost done, but I think this one will be a GOTM submission. I think it stands out more than any of my other guitars. It'll be up on Destroy All Guitars any time now. I can't wait to see what kind of response it gets.