Woodgrain Jem Build!

neocon58

Hey guys! Long time no post. My last post was yonks ago! But as I'm sure many of you find...the bug can come and go, and the bug has bitten me in the ass pretty hard this week.

So I'm making a JEM! I'm rubbish at lead playing but sometimes you just have to really indulge your fantasies (legal, guitar related ones at least :D ). This thing along with my bands DIY release is gonna suck my dry financially but...this **** is so much fun! I haven't 'built' a guitar for about 5 years when I built an RG (cut the body) which met an ill fate with a cement floor. Lets hope this baby turns out a little cleaner and lives a little longer.

* 2 Piece alder/curly maple/purple heart. (took the risk and bought through legacy/deep6 on ebay, pray it's hassle free.

*Schaller floyd

*Dimarzios, maybe a Tone Zone in the bridge, probably a no-namer in the neck due to budget constraints

*Wizard II neck off an 01 RG, custom decal on headstock when I figure it out.

I thought about staining the wood but I'm just gonna clear coat it I reckon, I'm thinking some rosewood pickup covers+rings too. Might look a little trippy on a JEM body but I'm gonna try it, it ties in with the 'wood' theme. Wood/black hardware, I think it'll be the sex!

I'm buying a schaller floyd through evilbay, not sure what nut type I should be going for (R1 or R2 were my choices, not sure what's best for Wizard II...any suggestions?)

Below is a pick of the body hotlinked from the sellers page. I will do proper pics and progress pics etc once I've got it (provided once again, transaction/delivery is hassle free).

purple1.jpg

I've read very mixed reviews on legacy/deep 6 but, this body was too pretty for me to not buy, haha. Lets hope its all sweet!

Compared to the work I see you guys doing here this is probably a simple assembly-build for you guys. For me this is a pretty big undertaking so any advice you can throw my was is massively appreciated, or suggestions throughout the build. Part of me wants to stain the body, part leave it natural!

Anywho I'll hopefully report back soon with proper pics etc and get things moving.

That is a nice looking body. Great figuring. For the nut you need to measure the neck. R1 (39.something mm) is not as wide as R2 (42mm). I think the Ibanez Wizard necks use 43mm nuts which is neither R1 or R2. There is a chart with all the different locking nut sizes floating around on the web.

Yeah I emailed the seller of the floyd and he put me on to the winning nut :D.

Some good news is the tracking number says the body has been posted and has left the US. Hope shes in good nick when it arrives.

Haven't really posted anything since I'm waiting on all the parts still. Once the body is here I'll sand it out a bit more then lose sleep deciding what to do with it...oil? seal? some kind of translucent lacquer? who knows.

Edited by neocon58

I was more thinking of how oil makes flamed Maple pop, in addition to the wilder grain in the Alder. You might have trouble keeping that PH purple with time. It's just the first thing that came into my head - oil. I think more than anything, glossy clears will show up any unevenness in the body so embellishing what you have is what my head started thinking....plus that pic makes the body look like it has been oiled already.

Hope it works out well for you.

got the legacy body today.......

neck pocket too narrow by a few MM, had to sand out. had to sand out the recesses where the neck joint screw ferrules sit. have to dowel and redrill my neck as the neck joint holes in the body don't match up at all. and the trem post holes are probably a mm too big in diamater....

"this body will fit any/all RG parts"... yep, when you do a body properly instead of smashing out 15 quick ones for e-bay purchases!

any tips for the trem posts holes? i was thinking some mad expoxy or similar to cement those posts into the body.

First coat of tung oil. crappy photo and i got lazy with the sanding :\ maple is popping nice though :D can't wait to get a few more coats on and get it a bit darker.

44233_477499482455_567872455_6775046_1008821_n.jpg

Edited by neocon58

got the legacy body today.......

neck pocket too narrow by a few MM, had to sand out. had to sand out the recesses where the neck joint screw ferrules sit. have to dowel and redrill my neck as the neck joint holes in the body don't match up at all. and the trem post holes are probably a mm too big in diamater....

"this body will fit any/all RG parts"... yep, when you do a body properly instead of smashing out 15 quick ones for e-bay purchases!

any tips for the trem posts holes? i was thinking some mad expoxy or similar to cement those posts into the body.

First coat of tung oil. crappy photo and i got lazy with the sanding :\ maple is popping nice though :D can't wait to get a few more coats on and get it a bit darker.

Get some thicker bushings for the posts? Looks like you got a different body from the one in the first pic.

Edited by masterblastor

• 1 month later...