My First Seven String Build

3DogNate

Hi, better introduce myself since this is my first post here...

My name is Nathan Noel... Ive been building guitars for several years now. This particular build contains a lot of firsts for me. My first PRS style set neck... my first carved top... First time using stainless frets... My first time using Target EM-6000 for a finish... and my first bound electric.

Here's the specs...

Body: 2pc Basswood Back with book matched spalted flame maple carved top.

Neck: 3pc maple/sapele/maple, maple Fingerboard

Scale: 25.5"

Frets: 24 Stainless Steel

Pickups: Carvin

Bridge: Gotoh

Tuners: Gotoh

Nut: Bone

Here's a collection of pics I didn't really start taking them until a ways into the build.

CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0092.jpg

CIMG0083.jpg

CIMG0091.jpg

CIMG0093.jpg

CIMG0094.jpg

CIMG0101.jpg

Headstock.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

I was able to get the clear coats on over the course of a week and after letting it cure out for a week I got it all buffed out and awaiting hardware and electronics this past Saturday... I'm really pleased with how the EM-6000 turned out... nice and shiny!

CIMG0126.jpg

CIMG0127.jpg

CIMG0128.jpg

CIMG0129.jpg

CIMG0131.jpg

CIMG0132.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

The finish looks really clean, it turned out really nice. I do wish the figure stood out more though.

Yeah, I did some test panels from the off cuts from the top.... I tried popping the curl with black and with tobacco brown and sand it back before adding the red. And the spalt just took too much dye. and looked really 2D. I think I made the right call... the curl is a bit more pronounced in person than in the photos because it does shift visually when viewed at different angles.

I'm happy... now if my bridge would ever get here off of back order.... :D

What tools did you use for the carve?

Nice work, really good looking guitar.

Bill

I roughed the carve out on the table saw (Half of a cove cut using a stop over the blade.) the followed up with a palm sander and 80 grit to smooth and blend it. Then a rasps to do the cutaways. Easiest way I know to do a consistent carve and leave a flat plateu on top for a flat mount hard-tail bridge.

Edited by 3DogNate

What tools did you use for the carve?

I roughed the carve out on the table saw

Ummmmm.... Don't try this at home kids.

I don't know what else to say. While I understand the concept (like making crown molding on the table saw) it seems a __dangerous__ method for something that can be done with a disc sander or violin gouge.

I would suggest to anyone that is planning on trying this technique to make sure you have a lot of experience with a table saw. Safety first.

3DogNate might have plenty of skill for table saw top carving methods but for n00bs I suggest looking at a less mechanized method.

I will say it again. Safety first.

Ummmmm.... Don't try this at home kids.

I don't know what else to say. While I understand the concept (like making crown molding on the table saw) it seems a __dangerous__ method for something that can be done with a disc sander or violin gouge.

I would suggest to anyone that is planning on trying this technique to make sure you have a lot of experience with a table saw. Safety first.

3DogNate might have plenty of skill for table saw top carving methods but for n00bs I suggest looking at a less mechanized method.

I will say it again. Safety first.

True... I should have added a warning myself. I do have a lot time behind the table saw, and am able to do this type of thing safely without hands anywhere near a spinning blade. By creeping the blade up maybe 1/6" at time and takeing many passes to get the final depth of cut there is very little stress on the tool. And using work stops... and good technique I'm comfortable with it... Always use caution around the table saw don't ever work beyond your own skill level...

Edited by 3DogNate

• 1 month later...
Nice build. Gunna enter it into GOTM? Also, I just had to comment: I just saw the picture of the neck center finder to see if the neck is centered AFTER routing. LOL, peace of mind I'm sure it gives you, but it's a little late by that point if it ain't centered :D

Chris

HA! but that's the verification that I did it right... better to find out that I f'd up at that stage than later at first string up.

No worries thought the neck pocket was tight and on center. :D