Build #5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I hadn't thought about other woods making a difference in the tone of the L-500. Mine is an alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard with a FR. Mahogany may make a world of difference. They're pretty cheap (I think I gave around $40 new for mine) so I guess it won't hurt to give it a try and see how you like it.

Prostheta>> I live on the Ã…land islands, so i'm actually closer to Sweden than the mainland.

I threw together the drum sander from some pulleys and bearings i had laying around to sand the volute on the neck. Maybe a bit overkill, but it's very fast and trims the head to exact thickness at the same time. It probably works well for fender style necks to, and fingerboards.

I made a truss rod cover from some leftover ebony and white binding.

DSCF5577.jpg

And here's a mockup of the headstock inlay, haven't decided where to put it yet but I'm leaning towards doing the middle one.

logotest.jpg

>>oblaty

Of course! I think I've tried all Czech beers available here. They're all good!

>>Prostheta

And I can't get Karhu here in Sweden. Have to go by Finlandsfärja some time...

>>Smutpeddler

Ooh, that's looking great! Specs for the build?

>>IPA or death

Yeah, I might just buy one and try it out.

I vote central part of the headstock. Looks very slick in combination with the outline of the trussrod cover. Like a hill on fire. Hah. Perhaps the paths of the 3rd and 4ths strings will confuse things however.

>>Prostheta

And I can't get Karhu here in Sweden. Have to go by Finlandsfärja some time...

Silja Line from Stockholm? Check out the restaurant, because they serve the best steak we've ever tried along with an awesome Morel sauce. Not entirely sure if it was Korvasieni or Kartiohuhtasieni however....but we didn't die which is good.

We're going to do a run to Tallinn with friends in February - check out http://www.viinarannasta.ee/ - but the prices in the store are even cheaper....online they're 50% of the prices on the shelves in Finland! Got to stock up on the Vana Tallinn in case I ever get a cold. Or just cold. ;-)

Headstock inlay at the top for SURE. Also, I tend to be weary of logos on truss rod covers cause then anyone can come along, remove it, and it's no longer got your name on it :D I like my name on things I've put that much time into.

Also, I'm doing my first lock nut equipped guitar. It's gunna come to the point soon where I need to do the nut ledge. Any pointers here for tools/methods you prefer, how to get it routed down the perfect amount, etc. etc.?

Chris

It's gunna come to the point soon where I need to do the nut ledge. Any pointers here for tools/methods you prefer, how to get it routed down the perfect amount, etc. etc.?

Chris

I use a Dremel on a mini sled jig with the router base. just measure the distance from the base of the nut to the bottom of the string slots and then mark down from your fret height. I then shim mine using veneer as you dont want to be filing the nut shelf down after a fret dressing in the future.

I vote for logo at the top aswell, I think the string paths will foul the view of the logo on the other 2 options.

Edited by sam_c

Also, I'm doing my first lock nut equipped guitar. It's gunna come to the point soon where I need to do the nut ledge. Any pointers here for tools/methods you prefer, how to get it routed down the perfect amount, etc. etc.?

Chris

Super simple jig. A couple pieces of MDF, carriage bolts, washers and wing nuts.

nutshelfjig.jpg

Clamp the neck in, align the front edge of the jig with the front edge for the nut and make sure the nut slot is parallel with the top of the jig. Set the depth and go to town using a short pattern bit.

I vote for the logo in the middle or on top as well.

>>mwcarl

>>masterblastor

Thanks!

>>Prostheta

Ha ha, I didn’t think of that but it does look like hill on fire! Maybe it’s Eyfjai.... Eiyaljaff... uh... that Icelandic volcano? I don’t know, Silja or Viking Line I suppose. The kids have been bugging us about taking a ferry trip but I suspect they’ll find it funny for about 15 minutes and the rest of the trip will be hell... I had to Google translate those mushrooms, those are tasty! When prepared right...

>>Reinhold

Thanks!

>>Ken Bennett

Thanks! It’s not too late to say your opinion, I haven’t even started cutting the pearl yet... Wait until you drop that little black screw that you need for your build (and you only had one) on the floor, it will inevitably be on a black square and impossible to find.

>>verhoevenc

Well, no risk of anyone removing this cover since I’m going to own the guitar... This is the first time I’ve done a locking nut ledge too. I just did it with a japanese dozuki saw, a sharp chisel, files and sand paper cause that’s what I had available. Probably not the recommended way... I measured and drew a line as deep as I thought it should be, cut away the wood with the dozuki saw, trimmed it down with the chisel and did the finishing with files and sand paper. Worked OK. sam_c and DC Ross are probably right with their explanations, that’s probably the way I would do it if I had the stuff and patience to make a jig for it. I never get around to making jigs at all, the little time I actually have for building is spent on the guitar. I always think it’s the last one I’ll build so it’s not worth spending time making jigs... and then I’ll start another build again. Can’t kick the habit obviously.

>>sam_c

Thanks for the tip!

>>DC Ross

That looks like something I actually could make, thanks for showing it!

>>WezV

Good point! Cool that you saw the matching shape, I actually shrunk a pic of the headstock in Photoshop and transferred it to the ebony to make it the same.

>>IPA or death

Problem is I don’t think there are pearl dots small enough to make a smaller version...

I think it’s possible to have the inlay in the middle without the strings going over it:

test.jpg

I think I’m a bit stuck on the middle position because I keep referring to Gibsons that have inlays in that position, like a LP Custom with the diamond or the SG and ES with the... thing (What’s it supposed to look like anyway?). Well, I have time to decide until I've actually cut the inlay.

Problem is I don’t think there are pearl dots small enough to make a smaller version...

Superglue a MOP blank to the end of a drill bit, chuck the other way around in a power drill, start the drill and hold a file against the MOP until you barely touch the drill bit shaft. Soften the glue with acetone to get the MOP loose. Presto, custom sized MOP dots. And you are sure to have a drill bit that matches the dot!

Thank God for spokeshaves and Czech beer:

+1 for that. Do you know Staropramen or Budejovicky Budvar? They´re my favourite :D

StaroBrno! Great beer, had a few last night.

Beer trivia: Staropramen = "Old Prague" so Starobrno = "Old Brno" and Zlatopramen (if I’m not mistaken) = "Hi there Prague" (or something similar)

StaroBrno! Great beer, had a few last night.

Beer trivia: Staropramen = "Old Prague" so Starobrno = "Old Brno" and Zlatopramen (if I’m not mistaken) = "Hi there Prague" (or something similar)

You´re almost all.. wrong :D

Staropramen means something like old strand, Starobrno is really Old Brno (Brno - city) and Zlatopramen is something like Golden strand :D

Anyway, all of them are great, but my no1 is Branik. Buy some if you can B)

Inlay is... inlayed:

DSCF5665.jpg

I went with my first instinct and put it in the middle as you can see.

>>Prostheta

Acorn? That grows on oaks?

>>SwedishLuthier

I'll have to try that some time when I have access to a power drill with a stand. Thanks for the tip!

>>oblaty

I used to drink Branik all the time before but they stopped selling it in Sweden...