Chip Carving Idea....

Dont know if this is considered to be a finish so I'm not sure this is the correct forum area :D

Anyway thought I would share, I decided to chip carve my logo in the back of one of my new creations and use to my advantage the finish in order to add some shading effects, enjoy B)

Basically I am using an X-Acto and taking off chips one by one until it looks like my logo, took me over 6 hours...

The logo is placed strategically to give the impression that it just fell on the guitar in a weird way :D I also took the center portion of my logo off to make it look more 3d'ish...

photo420.jpg

photo421.jpg

photo422z.jpg

photo424.jpg

photo426.jpg

photo427.jpg

My only question is why did you hide it on the back of the guitar.

does this reply to your question :D

Removed the images for brevity

So I was not sold at first but seeing the finished product I think it works. From a design perspective I like your logo it is very good. As long as it is an option I think it is a nice feature to offer.

Personally I would not really want it on my guitar per say. Especially not that size. But I am a minimalist and like everything streamlined without any adornments. :D

My only question is why did you hide it on the back of the guitar.

does this reply to your question :D

Removed the images for brevity

As long as it is an option I think it is a nice feature to offer.

Personally I would not really want it on my guitar per say. Especially not that size. But I am a minimalist and like everything streamlined without any adornments. :D

thanks man, glad you enjoy it B)

however, the chip carving is not an option, this is a one of a kind instrument which I am building to celebrate my 15 years as a luthier and I wanted to test this idea on it B)......

however, the chip carving is not an option, this is a one of a kind instrument which I am building to celebrate my 15 years as a luthier and I wanted to test this idea on it :D......

I understand. That's what I'm doing with the SciFi guitar. Testing ideas. A great way to do that is on a guitar for yourself.

By the way, I love the front of the guitar too.

Edited by cSuttle

First off...

It's a cool idea but.....

Your logo is far too similar to Neal Moser's stylized "M". (Neal has been in the business at least twice as long as you)

2nd- get some chipo carvers knives and practice.... 6 hours is about 5 hours too long.

f**k yeah... it's another way of putting your "stamp" on it....

go for it! offer it as a (chargeable) option... you'd be surprised how many would want it! people can change necks/logos etc.... try getting that off the body - it's there for good.

hehe yeah its like a tattoo :D I dunno, maybe in the futur when I will get more chops after some practice at chip carving B)

First off...

It's a cool idea but.....

thanks B)

Your logo is far too similar to Neal Moser's stylized "M". (Neal has been in the business at least twice as long as you)

first off.... be sure to buy a pair of glasses, you may need some I'm afraid.....

scythegwadme2.jpg

242.png

very similar indeed... :D

2nd- get some chipo carvers knives and practice.... 6 hours is about 5 hours too long.

thank you for your wonderfull and constructive tips :P

Nope- not blind. As a hand carver I have an excellent eye for small detail.

Your logo looks like a slightly more stylized version of his. To a passerby, they could see one logo, then the other... and think it was the same logo. That was my point.

"Be unique. Just like everybody else."

Neal is a friend of mine. I dont think he'd be too excited about your logo-

As for chisels... look into "flexcut" brand chisels and see if they have chip carver knives. I know they make other carving knives and chisels. They not bad for the money.

No comparison between my "two cherries" vs flexcuts.... but $700 FOR AN 18 PC set of two cherries, vs $75 for a 12 PC set of flexcuts....

Your logo looks like a slightly more stylized version of his. To a passerby, they could see one logo, then the other... and think it was the same logo. That was my point.

Internet at its best! :D

So now are you also going to say that my logo looks like Lord Sauron? I happen to know him personaly and he is very exited about it..... :D

haha this made my day so bad! :PB)

Oh no wait, Lord Sauron was influenced by the Mozer logo.... B)

3462284019_2ab4171c7d.jpg

Oh wait, no, both have been influenced by Terminator 3....

terminator_002.jpg

damn, no, by an alien!

queen_AlienPress_still01.jpg

oh no wait! its from HALO!!!!! damn

mcfarl26.jpg

For the records, my logo was created by a professional graphist and a wonderfull friend of mine who is a Buddhist living in India, try and explain to him that he was influenced by Neal Mozer....

Internet at its best! :D

For the records, my logo was created by a professional graphist and a wonderfull friend of mine who is a Buddhist living in India, try and explain to him that he was influenced by Neal Mozer....

on second thought..... you're right.... :D

And my advice was wrong. You are *WAY* too good to use some cheap flexcuts...

Spend 5x's as much and get 2 cherries or pfeil. They're the only thing good enough to satisfy your ego apparently....

even though it took you at LEAST 4 hours too long to do a simple shallow chip carve B)B)

Once again... I apologize for trying to help out a newb carver.

Good luck to ya hufshmuck-

Edited by postal

Very smart way to change the subject B)

dude, the more you talk, the more you sound like a real forum troll B)

I see what you are doing there and exactly where this is comming from.....

Spend 5x's as much and get 2 cherries or pfeil. They're the only thing good enough to satisfy your ego apparently....

even though it took you at LEAST 4 hours too long to do a simple shallow chip carve :D:D

Good luck to ya hufshmuck-

Well apperently you are the one in here who is showing an extreme EGO since your very first post in this thread my friend

I'm very happy that you find it funny that it takes so long but I stated several times that this is new for me and that I am practicing my shops at chip carving...

Maye you also cant read?

Clearly you are Trolling :P