Barnstormer

Hopefully I can get this posted before the sunspots flare up again.

Finished this one up a little while ago.

The body is built up from four sections of 2x4 maple rafters from an old barn.

The pickguard is hammered aluminum, and as you can see, I need to modify it a bit to get the pickups better in line with the strings. Not sure how that happened, but shouldn't be too hard to fix.

bsac1.jpg

I did the "sunburst" shading with a propane torch, which really works nice on maple.

Had to go back and fill the gaps where the glue joints started opening up, but I didn't want it to look seamless anyway.

bsac5.jpg

Hipshot grip-lok tuners, and headstock veneer sliced off another section of rafter.

bsac4.jpg

The neck is soft maple, with a persimmon fretboard.

Hipshot trem, which took a bit of futzing to get right, as it's the first time I've use a fulcrum unit.

I recessed it a little bit, and I need to go back and darken up the recess.

bsac3.jpg

Love the burned sunburst and rustic look. I almost feel like the pickguard would look cooler with a bullet hole or two. How do you like those tuners? I have the exact same set that I'm going to use on the guitar I'm building right now.

Simply amazing. I'm jealous. It must take skill to take 'junk' and turn it into something awesome. The textured front and the headstock are the key features for me. Not a big fan of the pickguard (or pickguards in general), but everything else is great. The fretboard/neck will look amazing once the finish starts wearing off and you get all that grime and fading on it.

Makes me want to go out to my Uncle's ranch and steal some of the wood from the old homesteads on the land.