Seven String Build #2

With my first seven string on its way to the furnace this winter and my OM acoustic and MN guitar on hold for the moment. I have decded to start a new one but this one will be bolt on. I am still deciding what to do for neck woods.

Specs

Body: Butternut with a slightly carved maple top

Neck: White or Red oak

Fretboard: Black Walnut or Oak with jumbo frets

Electronics: 2 vol. 1 tone, 3 way selector switch

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbuckers

Bridge: Black ESP LTD Flyod Rose

Tuners: Black Gotoh Schaller style tuners

Finish: Either Danish oil or I think it's called Jakarta stain.

I don't have any pictures yet but so far I have the body glued and shaped and I glued the top this morning. I will be starting on the neck hopefully this week and will hopefully have the hardware by next week.

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

With my first seven string on its way to the furnace this winter

NO! Send it to me!

:D you wouldn't want it. The top split apart, the control cavity is way to big, to the point where it is almost thin enough on the edge to push the side in, and the neck was a little off. It was my first attempt at a neck through and I accidenty didn't pay to much attention to anything but how the neck was. This one will be a bolt on so it will work.

• 3 months later...

Long time without posting. So the maple top wasn't as dry as I thought and it arced the body so I ran it through the time saver smoothed it out then glued on a maple back in at attempt to keep it from pulling. It has been fine for 2 months so it should work.

How is the hand?

Long time without posting. So the maple top wasn't as dry as I thought and it arced the body so I ran it through the time saver smoothed it out then glued on a maple back in at attempt to keep it from pulling. It has been fine for 2 months so it should work.

How is the hand?

It's been better. It is healing though. I tried getting some pictures but only one came up relatively decent. This picture doesn't really do justice though as to how far around my finger the cut is. I wish my camera was better.

Acousticsides003.jpg

If I could get the pictures off my phone I would put one up of the xray with how ripped up the bone is and how bad the other side of my finger is. I still can't play guitar with it. I tried the other day and could play most stuff until it came to chords unless it was a power chord :D I am happy it's looking better though. I wish I had pictures from a few weeks ago when it was still fresh.

damm... Thats got to hurt. what happened.

Table saw, The board kicked back when I was cutting binding strips for acoustics and the blade pulled it and my hand down on the blade. I found it ironic though because at the school my shop teacher always said to use push sticks since I never do cause I hate them but this time I used them and cut my finger.

Nasty.... I had the router get me about 2 years ago. 7 stitches in 2 fingers (4 index, 3 middle).

Glad you are getting back at it.

Yikes That sounds like it hurt a lot. I almost had that happen, a guy at school thought it would be funny to turn the switch on when I wasn't looking so when I plugged it in it would start right away ... well when the router took off and left a nice gouge across the body of the guitar and had the router shooting at him with me chasing it swearing at him he learned it wasn't very funny.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How exactly did you cut the headstock angle? When I made my 7 string neck I had to bandsaw it and then put it to a sander after gluing the two pieces.

And also, how are you supposed to cut out the neck with the headstock already angled? Your not going to be able to bandsaw it... :/

I cut it with a bandsaw then belt sanded it. As for cutting it out I will use a jig saw. I used to use those all the time before I discovered we had a band saw at my house ...

I should probably mention too that due to cost restraints this is being changed to a 6 string and I will be building a Gibson inspired v as a 7 string then I will be starting another 6 string with a mossy oak camo material top and an 8 string carved top.

I hat emy inability to make descisions for my own guitars :D

• 4 weeks later...