Alternative Woods?

I'm all about alternative woods.

Maple, poplar and walnut are about the only "mainstream" woods I use.

If it grows around here, I am not afraid to put a saw in it and see what happens.

I have used Eastern red cedar, butternut, sassafras, cucumbertree, sweetgum, hickory, cherry, elm, chestnut, persimmon, locust, beech, osage orange, honeylocust, and Kentucky coffetree.

How do they sound?

Like guitars.

I have a hard time placing the sound of a guitar in a way I can describe, and I'm never really sure how much of it is in the wood anyway.

What the heck is a cucumbertree? I'm familiar with the rest, although I've only run across the name Kentucky coffeetree.

Amiee, you should check out some of that osage orange for your next longbow. It was prized for bow making by the Osage Indians where I grew up (where, not when) and their bows were prized and traded for by all the other tribes in the area.

SR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know after all "alternative woods" is a description of woods that we either are:

- not familiar with,

- do not know

- OR that we are not aware about simply because the guitar industry simplified the wood generic terms for so many years.

Here is another one from my private stock - TANOAK

148324_118531601543124_100001588540214_123489_1757040_n.jpg

Persimmon Ebony (which is funny because nobody gives a **** about it until we call it by its other name ''pale moon ebony'' )

Then you have the attention of all the little forum kids.... :D

73025_116273088435642_100001588540214_113067_7324476_n.jpg

Oregon Myrtlewood

75843_116279735101644_100001588540214_113137_7122913_n.jpg

Pistachio

73025_116273101768974_100001588540214_113071_6119352_n.jpg

I just plained this epic piece of claro walnut today for my up comming 30'' scale baritone 8 string guitar, tought I would share...

Perfectly quatersawn and ready to work on. Its very old, and it was cut down 100 years ago, its also been in my workshop in a controled environnement for about 2 years, its umbalivably stable.

photo618s.jpg

I really like that walnut...it's a sweet wood for neck lams as well.If I had that piece and it was long enough I would make a ton of 3/8" strips for laminating with several necks...maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple and mahogany/walnut/mahogany/walnut/mahogany...

I have some really great quartersawn limba I am making necks with,and some really nice figured bubinga for neck through lams as well.

I also have a 6 ft by 2" by 6" riftsawn piece of what I seem to think is bubinga or something equally porous and dense...I can't recall what the hell it is

Thats a nice collection you have there!

I go hunting sometimes :D and I find pieces of wood that look like this in the rough...

photo033h.jpg

photo084i.jpg

Then look like this once finished...

photo237ut.jpg

Turned out to be a gorgeous piece of flatsawn zebrano, perfect for an awesome top...

Anybody would probably trash away the piece of wood from the first picture :D

Yeah..but the only thing is...look at the 5th photo down...see those two matching pieces of red wood sitting next to each other and about three pieces to the left of the big piece of mystery "bubinga"?

That is bubinga...and the color difference is what is bothering me...

That still looks like bubinga. I'd be willing to bet it is. I've seen it look like everything from dark purple to pale pink. I bet if you wet it, it'll look more like color you're expecting. I don't know of any other wood with that kind of grain and pores and that color.

Edited by NotYou