Oil Stone To Level Frets

boundsteelblues

Has anyone used an oil stone to level frets? Also, which one would you suggest? I've found some hits on a web search but not a lot of detail. They can be a lot cheaper than Stew-Mac's bar.

As long as it's good quality then it should be fine.

I currently use this:

http://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/sharpeni..._and_1000G.html

They also do a 1000/6000 grit version but 1000 grit seems fine enough to me (you're gonna re-crown them anyway so they don't need to be super smooth). I tend to mainly use the 1000 grit side as I'm paranoid of removing too much.

Edited by The Fool Guy

Has anyone used an oil stone to level frets? Also, which one would you suggest? I've found some hits on a web search but not a lot of detail. They can be a lot cheaper than Stew-Mac's bar.

Yes. I like them but mine are old now and not true anymore... no clue where they came from. Benedetto uses them as well.

I also have used the diamond sharpeners. They are great for chisels. Not a fan for fret jobs...

I used to use Nicholson files... but I haven't found a straight one in 10 years. They are just not the same quality... so I have moved on to Gorbet.

I bought Stew Macs bar... it wasn't worth the money and would not purchase it again. If you know someone with a mill/bridge port get them to make you one out of aluminum.

Currently I use a 25 year old Nicholson that is nice and flat and follow up with my Stew Mac radius beam and some 320.

I've been through a couple of the kind with one coarse side and one fine side. They don't last long and have to be periodically checked. I now prefer to use a medium bastard file with the rattail curled up for easy gripping. And I ALWAYS check my file with a straightedge before touching another fretboard.