New Headless Tremolo Build 6-,7-,8-string Needle Bearing

So, here's a completely different kind of build - hopefully to the general interest!

I have spent the weekend at the mill and lathe constructing a new headless tremolo.

6 mm aluminium to begin with. I am doing a 6-string and a 7-string in parallel, which is the reason for the two different size pieces.

IMG_3553.jpg

Here, I have routed the grooves that the tuners will sit in (on the 7-string)

IMG_3555.jpg

The two base plates, almost finished

IMG_3558.jpg

Plates completed

IMG_3559.jpg

This is what brings it all together

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_3563.jpg

And assembled!

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

What's interesting with this tremolo is that it is based on needle bearings and has two options for fulcrum points. One give more extreme action and the other is much smoother. More pictures will follow! I am sending them away for engraving of logo and then anodization.

damn !

looks perfect !

do you sell those or it's just for your builds and your needs ??

I am indeed planning on selling these! I have been looking for an alternative to knife edges for a long time and have been sold out of the regular tremolos, not wanting to commit to ordering new parts, so am very pleased to arrive here.

Looks great, would love to be able to mill custom bridges.

Why do the groves for the tuners thin out on the middle strings?

My guess would be for a radiused string height, like a TOM-bridge has..

@Cactus - you're right. It has a 16" radius. Previous revisions of the trems had "steps" and equally deep grooves, but I think this looks better.

Note that each string has individual height adjustment as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the parts back from the anodizer the other day. Here's how they turned out:

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

Here's how the Dual Action works - on the left (the 6-string tremolo) you will note that there are two positions for the bearing and shaft. This allows you to change the behavior of the tremolo from stiff and extreme to smooth and subtle. The 7-string tremolo on the right has only one bearing due to the extra force applied from the string tension.

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg