The Fool Guy's First

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny I was just trying to figure out what to use to make cavity covers.. so you're saying the stuff they sell as "heastock veneer" is good for this? gotta check prices...

I have some thin 0,6mm veneer and I was thinking of gluing together several sheets or just laminating one to a piece of thin hdf, but this looks like another good option.

for pickup rings you need to stack two anyway, right? The ring should be 5-6mm high IIRC.

nice job with these, can't wait to see the rings done!

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more on No 1.

Got some veneers glued on to the headstock. Actually went better than expected (they'll probably fall off after I've got some finish on...

1961DF36-EBA3-4DE8-BCC1-B118E33992AA-3447-00000410BCC459F1.jpg

Plugged the bridge holes as I'd gone and used a 10mm bit and the bridge posts dropped in too easily, will get hold of a 9.5mm bit for this.

4527ADF4-8D87-464E-8E27-0B9E77A13532-3447-00000410A10B2612.jpg

And had another go at the pickup rings. Laminating two pieces together with the grain going in opposite directions has made all the difference here. Only roughed out so far...

0D8B5BEA-210C-431B-B438-7D8D44D133AB-3447-00000410AB942E64.jpg

• 1 month later...

More slow progress...

Had a bit of time finally, so got a few minor jobs done.

Redrilled the bridge post holes

Deepened the tremolo rout, and cavity to accommodate the 4mm thick covers.

Just the switch cover left to go, then it's on to finish sanding.

Did a bit more shaping of the neck, then made a start on the headstock shape. I'm pleased with how this turned out, especially as it arose from a mistake. :D

9467C409-B756-4D80-A80B-B769132ADEB1-11607-00001916E2B4335C.jpg

37CE0A4D-567C-4352-ADFF-E63830265A48-11607-00001916EB0CC1D3.jpg

Still a bit of tidying up to do, but happy with where this is going. Might even make this a signature thing...

• 2 months later...

After another long break the weather finally perks up enough for me to get back to work on this one, nearly three years in the making!! :blush

Finally got a cover made for the bodged switch channel...

F9B89D6E-12B6-4330-9400-6FB45D772032-566

Still need to drill for the screws.

Routed the body for the switch. Had to do this freehand so it was a bit scary...

98C50AA3-C46C-435F-88D7-A6CC3D5DD6FA-566

Tidied up...

2A76BAB5-B116-4FD2-8170-82B35C62FDDE-566

It's not quite perfect, there was a slight overcut on one of the corners. I'll probably fill this with wenge dust when I glue the switch cover in...

55F1F2FF-BFC4-4E7E-977C-EE1984313DAE-566

It's currently slightly proud of the front ofd the guitar. I haven't decided yet whether I'll leave it like that or sand it flush to the top...

A11F136A-754A-42B4-97E1-6E6BB1A1AFBC-566

Quick mock-up. The pickup rings still need lots of work and are way to big at the moment...

691014DD-CE00-4FC8-B915-FEF0AEB0C87B-566

Not really liking the bridge anymore, too big. May change it, but as this is only supposed to be a practice build (albeit a very long one :blush ) I may not bother...

Finish sanded the neck and got to work with the tru-oil. 1st coat...

E8744536-8838-43B5-BBA4-F340C0EAA34F-566

It's had five coats now, which should be enough, lightly rubbed down with 0000 wire wool between coats... It looks great. Will leave it for a couple of weeks to cure then will make a start with the nitro and waterslide decal for the headstock face. :)

As I first saw the switch plate I wondered about cutting it diagonal to the grain. Then I saw that it was done to match the grain direction of the body. Nice touch, that. I think I would leave it slightly proud of the body. It will play nicely off the pickup rings that way and may help hide any imperfections in the fit.

SR

Yeah, the grain on the switch cover matching the body is just luck. I angled it that way to match with the grain of the pickup rings and fretboard, although the fretboard is quartersawn so looks a bit different anyway. The cavity covers will also have the same grain orientation.

Once I get the pickup rings sorted it should look good (*crosses fingers and prays*)

Sanded back the first coat of epoxy and did a second. This has worked really well so don't think I'll do any more coats.

D4419D09-75C0-4FCE-B9C8-773F1CF65E77-127

10CBAB62-244D-4723-9337-A978E0E6E5A1-127

This has now been sanded back again and I've applied the first coat of tru-oil. Forgot to take pics, will take some later. It's not as shiny now as it was with the z-poxy on it, but hopefully the tru-oil will build nicely and I'll get a good shine out of it in the end. The satin sheen it has now is also pretty nice...

Am I right in thinking it will need about 15-20 thin coats if I'm going for a gloss finish?

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here we are at 5 coats of tru-oil...

null_zps658c76fa.jpg

Looking good :)

It's had another 2 coats since this picture and I don't think it will need much more. i may even stop here and start polishing...

Made a start on nitroing the headstock. Did 2 very light coats followed by one wet coat. Had a panic moment when doing the wet coat that I'd put too much on, but it leveled out ok. Never used nitro before (or any finish for that matter) but it seems to be quite forgiving for an amateur like myself. Will leave this for a while (probably won't get back to this until the weekend) then flatten and apply my decal before the rest of the nitro goes on.

null_zpsc6324afa.jpg

Yes, the nitro has revealed a nice big scratch across the headstock which I couldn't see before :blush . It can only be seen from a certain angle so I'm going to leave it, as the veneer is so thin I don't want to sand it any more :(

Nitro is funny like that. When it shrinks it reveals all kinds of stuff you thought was gone.

Looks good so I wouldn't sweat the scratch too much on the headstock. Build up some finish and sand it flat a few times and you will be good.

Got my shine on going through the grits with my micromesh sheets...

null_zps21f896a7.jpg

...and logo now attached :)

null_zpscf2f37f5.jpg

Did get some sand through around the tuner holes and the bottom edge, went ahead and did the decal anyway. Next time I'll do more than one wet coat before the decal :blush ...

The end is nigh (finally)... :)

Here's the headstock so far. It's had 4 or 5 wet coats since the decal went on (the decal edges actually disappeared after about 2 wet coats). It's starting to build nicely.

null_zps52a67bf0.jpg

Will probably do 2 more then call it a day. Then I'll have a few weeks to finish the covers and switch while I wait for it to cure

Problems... :angry:^_^

I know nitro cracks as it ages... but after a week? :huh:

cae268a1-f9db-4dfb-859c-a2fa26948be0_zps

I haven't even flatted it yet!

Anyone know why this might be? I'm guessing it has to do with the thickness of coats or drying time between coats? This is my first time finishing so I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing...

If I spray more nitro will it melt the finish enough the cover the cracks?

I'm not going to rip it all off and start again, so if it can't be fixed so be it...

... I'll just say it's vintage B)

If it is a true nitrocellulose, it will melt into the prior coats....

Somehow, you had a big temperature shock to that neck.... that is one of the ways to induce "Aging"

double check your surroundings that nothing possibly contaminated the area and checmically introduced the cracking

at this point, you have to put your CSI hat on and get to uncovering the mystery