Bubinga Mini Lp-ish

So some of you may remember this project.It started out as a clean piece of maple and a large piece of pommelle bubinga... I started it a while back but shelved it when things at work got hectic.Yesterday I pulled it from the closet and started on it,mostly because that other one is such a tough rebuild that I wanted to catch my breath on something that will do what I want it to do.

l_49c86b1128ed41a8bd71cdb802bc60f7.jpg

As you can see it is routed for dual humbuckers and a kahler.The headstock is a scarf joint that I did while I was experimenting with poly glue,and it was so messy I have not used it since.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I wanted to do was finish the neck.So I went to the hardware store and bought a "diamond tile hole saw" bit for my drill press and I used it to cut dots out of some red recon stone I have with gold streaks in it.Then I found a drill bit that matched the size and installed them into the board

l_3db293d1c5db478b9a63ad2b1869d993.jpg

Most of the dots are installed well,but one is slightly off center.Not enough to really bother me too much though.

Then I sanded the board with my radius block through the grits 100-320

l_2f552d2d11c442ccb68b851425a56b07.jpg

l_e1976d3267bb4963ad67d126817a0d8a.jpg

So dots are installed and now it is time for side dots.I always just use the plastic side dot material from Stewmac,because I really don't care much about them except that I use them while playing(I don't ever use the front dots),so I need them to be as visible as possible,so I always use white on ebony,and black on maple...but this time I decided to do it just a bit differently,so I put them right at the edge of the binding.Again one of them refused to cooperate :D

l_62b41bc290a64b25be058f2eeadfdcad.jpg

l_897260e47e0f4b34bfa2829c26d73666.jpg

It's tough to see in the light,I will try to get a better pic soon.

worried about the poly scarf. Does it feel strong?

Yeah it is plenty strong...nice joint and alot of surface area is glued.The mess I was talking about is that when you apply water like the instructions say to the pieces of wood,it foams like crazy....Gorilla glue is what I used...I just won't use it again because it messed up my kitchen bar top...

So on to carving the top..I marked out the "edges" in pencil just for a loose reference

l_22d2a93bc77247ba98faec3c27ef281c.jpg

Then I routed a step in it

l_721a2e8fa0e94c63873241dac9daf234.jpg

I had two bad tearouts...I am going to have to work around that somehow..either reshape it or do a complete roundover of the edge..I could flatten that spot at the lower bout and install my jack there,but I really want the jack elsewhere..we will see what happens I guess

And after the rough carve with the sanding disc...

l_ee37148cd199401dab2baf51c17d7a96.jpg

l_ee7f435d81fd486c9dd826f54503083c.jpg

Man,there is going to be a hell of a lot of work involved rasping and sanding it down.

Man,there is going to be a hell of a lot of work involved rasping and sanding it down.

I did a prototype out of bubinga before I made my first guitar. It had a contoured back. It was the most difficult wood I've worked with to shape and sand smooth...more difficult than jatoba. It's just so dang hard and dense. It was worth it though. It looked great. Kind of wasted on a prototype though. :D

SR

This is the second guitar from Bubinga for me..the first one was easier just because of all of the straight sides...I could use my benchtop sander to get most of it.

But I honestly believe it sands easier than hard maple.I built a body of hard maple once and it was tough..I mean really tough.

But the end result with bubinga is always sooo worth it....I think it is the most stable wood I have ever used...damn near bulletproof once you get it done.

After the carve this body is only 1" thick at the edges.1 3/8" in the middle...so this one should really be comfortable because of the thin-ness,but still heavyenough to balance properly because of the bubinga...at least that's what I am hoping. :D

it just depends what you carve it with. the first time i used it i was using microplane rasps. They are great on most usual woods.... but did not suit bubinga at all, they were blunted and blades pushed flat in minutes. normal rasps seem to do the trick though, slower, but they get there

on my first neck i decided to bandsaw off the excess to help the carve along... i knew it was dodgy but had seen it suggested and tried it... it did not work well!

Necks are easy compared to bodies IMO.Everything is straight and easy to reach on a neck,and a radius block makes the board easy to make right,too...I mean,as long as you consider inlay to be artwork rather than "part of the neck".

Btw I saved all of the recon stone dust in a ziploc bag for some unknown use later...not on this guitar...but as I was making the dust I started thinking about how Perry uses shell dust and stuff to do things that make his guitars stand out...so I had to save it.

Also..straight grained bubinga is easier than figured to carve.There is no use trying to cut figured bubinga with a bladed hand tool...

If I get to do a singlecut I´ll probably bolt the neck on, instead of setting it. Do you find that much of a difference in tone?

Man I really do...not that it is better or worse,but I prefer a set neck tone to a bolt on...To be honest I am surprised that I ended up liking set necks so much.I used to be a "neck through or nothing" guy,but now I like playing them equally,but I prefer to build a set neck because of the separate body and neck...

I really like how your LP is coming along Wes.

Thanks..this one you mean?