Oh Great Guitar Gurus, Share Your Amp Settings!

2005palehorse

There’s a plethora of guitar knowledge here covering every aspect of the greatest instrument (IMO) ever created (especially when electricity was added). Since the amp is an integral part of solid body guitars, why not cover a tutorial on the mysteries of this component?

Many early bands created hits using basic gear and didn’t have access to effects until success made it financially viable. I wanted to list the equipment I have available and find out what settings are needed to dial in the “classic rock” sound (Bad Company, AC/DC, Foreigner, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent etc).

Guitar: solid body 6 string, 2 HB, 1V-1T- 3way toggle.

Amp: Crate V33-212, volume-gain-level-treble-middle-bass-reverb (push button switches: channel, boost, presence).

I’ve tried to experiment with the controls on both the guitar and amp but have had no luck finding anything more than distortion and clean. Early rock seems to be dialed in in a more “reasonable” setting than just all out “death metal” crunch.

Help me out folks. In what ways can I adjust the controls on my guitar and amp for some of that “70’s” sound?

A Marshall amp would change things a bit but I’ll have to work with what I have.

Thanks…………………Tom

I haven't ever had any experience with the v33 but I did have a v18 and as far as tube amps go it sucked. If it is any thing like the v18 turn the bass all the way down treble all the way up and use the mids as a tone control. Turn the reverb all the way down and get a pedal. Don't get crazy with the gain leave it at a low to moderate level and use the volume to get output tube distortion. This with some tweeking should make something passable for classic rock. But really the v18 colored the sound so bad that it all sounds the same and the gain just seems to muddy up more and more the higher it goes. The v33 may be a different beast though. If not I would suggest looking at other amps you can get some decent amps these days that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Thanks to all for the responses. I'll tinker with those recommendations and see how the amp reacts to the settings.

I've not been disappointed with the V33 but felt it was more suited for country/ blues than other catagories. My father plays steel guitar and has asked me several times to loan the amp to him cause it reminded him so much of the Fender Twin Reverb he once had. Maybe in the future I'll invest in an amp with built in effects and give him the Crate since it works well with his Sho-Bud instrument.

Thanks again.......Tom

Weird...based on the 'tubing' and the specs (quick search), the V33 strikes me as something in the Vox/British amp family, so I'd look at fiddling with tone settings folks reccomend for something like an AC30 as well.

The 'Rock sounds' you list are fairly diverse; AC/DC is fairly low gain, crunch overdrive coming out of Marshall stacks, Led Zep's also fairly clean with a dirty edge most of the time. I find 'crunch' one of the hardest sounds to really nail perfectly, and for me it usually comes down to a bit (not too much!) gain, and careful fiddling around with the tone knobs. Reverb pretty much optional.

Does your amp manual come with a few recommended settings? My Rivera TBR's does, although admittedly it's a pain in the ass of an amp to dial in sometimes because the controls are fairly interactive...

Phil X is awesome.... :D

If you want true 70's rock sounds, get 70's equipment. End of story.

I have a '68 Heath combo amp ( 2x12 ) and it has the original reverb tank and tremolo system. Instant surf sounds out of it. Its hard to do anything BUT clean tones or wet surf tones. It does distortion o.k., but it has to be from a pedal or a preamp.

You're getting modern tone out of modern equipment. understandable.

My advice is to definitely switch your amp. A Marshall will get you real close to the versatility you're looking for.

Pricey, but good. :D

theres a lot of modern equipment that is perfectly capable of doing vintage tones. infact the crate v series amps do a ok vintage type sound its just they where cheap amps and it shows. btw im talking about the import v series amps i think the usa made ones are better sounding.