Planing Figured Woods

guitar2005

Pin router for the rough thicknessing (without the pin!).

high angle (55 degrees or above) hand plane for the fine work.

about the home made drum sander- benedetto's archtop book has a nice description of one in which the drum is fixed and the bed is adjustable using a hinge on one side and a lifting screw on the other. in order to change the thickness you tip the bed's angle. Fairly simple after you can figure out how to construct a perfectly square and stable mounting for the sanding drum...

Edited by avdekan

I had my eye on one of those to, almost pulled the trigger.

But I wanted to hold out for a Jet or some other slightly higher end model, I want it to be a one-time purchase,

but as they say, a bird in the hand beats two in the bush, so congrats on the score! :D

I had my eye on one of those to, almost pulled the trigger.

But I wanted to hold out for a Jet or some other slightly higher end model, I want it to be a one-time purchase,

but as they say, a bird in the hand beats two in the bush, so congrats on the score! :D

The Craftex Drum sander, I got for 665.00, taxes in. It was an open box store demo, discontinued model. All of the other brands/models in the "baby" size were 12" or were open ended. The design of this one seems to be very good... and its a heavy beast @ 200lbs.

For the amount of use I'll put this machine through, it should be just fine.

...wipe it with a damp rag and give it a minute to soak in. It usually helps a lot.

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try.

Besides very shallow cuts and sharp knifes, one other thing I've found that helps is to run the piece through at a bit of an angle if its not too wide.

Yeah, I've tried that but it feels like playing lotto every time and with birdseye, it will never work.

Congrats on the new machine!

The best way to keep figure is to get the best blades available, and have them properly sharpened, i co-oped in a pattern shop and the (rather average) thickness planer would have the boards looking their best while keep a perfectly flat and clean surface only using a blade upgrade.

I've always been told the machine doesn't have to be top of the line, only the cutter/blade (for what ever kind of machine it is)

Oh and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone! :D