The Octo~bass .

A handful of weeks back I was asked to join a surf band that is led by an old friend of mine. He writes really fun songs, and it's been a while since I was in a gigging band,so I went for it. :D I have a bass to play for now but wanted something that could be explored a bit further than a regular 4 string bass.

I took down a pile of boards and got started....Untitledjjjeee.jpg

^^ thats my dog keeping inventory for me.

This had started off to be a 34" scale build, but after realizing the direction I wanted to take it, a multi-scale was a better option.IMG_0229.jpg

This is my initial photoshop version of my intentions:

IMG_0195.jpg

So, I used a paddle bit to take off some weight from the inside of the piecesIMG_0207.jpg

I got almost two Lbs. ( 815 grams ) of dust from the inside of this thing, which will make the final bass a lot easier to shoulder, pun intended.

Specs are:

Chambered multi-lam body with Padouk wings

multi-scale,semi-fretted fretboard on a bloodwood neck with dual truss rods.

E A D G B/b E/e tuning, an octave lower than a standard guitar.

dual pocket set neck/upper horn section.

Active/passive electronics module from Carvin

ESP six string bass pickups

Gold allparts six string bass bridge

3 bass tuners / 5 guitar tuners

IMG_0257.jpg

Its still rough, but getting closer to being done.

Thoughts?

:D

Mike, Mike, Mike....

You always go out on a limb; it looks like you brought the limb back with you this time. I've got to ask, what's the inspiration for this shape? And why the angled end of the fretboard? It's going the opposite direction of the fret markers. You've got a lot of interesting stuff going on here. I'm fascinated to see how it will come out.

SR

Mike, Mike, Mike....

I've got to ask, what's the inspiration for this shape?

SR

Auerswald

I had to look that up.

Oh my.

SR

I had to look it up too !

Oh my indeed.

... and y'all thought I was wierd. :D

This was actually inspired by my sucktastic artistic ability. I wanted an Octopus-looking bass - all carved up n stuff.... I started to draw it, realized I couldn't execute it and went for this - - "shape" . Its actually quite comfy. The big horn thing has gone on a 50 grit-diet and lost quite a bit of weight.......

so, took a break from the action and wet it a bit to get a better look.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Still rough, but getting close to what I'm after.

Here's how the back is shaping up thus far.

IMG_0266.jpg

and a shot of the dual pockets. I may go with a bolt-on setup, so I can make multiple necks for this body and try out different scale lengths.

IMG_0268.jpg

"This was actually inspired by my sucktastic artistic ability. I wanted an Octopus-looking bass - all carved up n stuff.... I started to draw it, realized I couldn't execute it and went for this - - "shape"..."

I can see where you were wanting to go with the whole OctoPuss/Bass carved thing. Head in the upper left corner...tentacles draping down and the one that reached all the way to the headstock. That would have been pretty dang cool. In fact...you should commission Mr. Riffle to do that in the future. The man has a way with wood. :D

I would love to have him make me a body... if only my funding allowed it...... :D

I made some progress on it today , taking the sanding up to 80 grit. Took out the remaining scratches/gouges from the rasp and saw plus the 50 grit roughage. Actually started the 100 grit today, but will start again tomorrow with the 100.

A grit a day keeps the scratches away, or so I've read somewhere on here :D

The little curves are starting to show up...

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Hey Mike, that thing is looking pretty good from the back. The carves and wood look good. The extra arm looks like a ...or a leg bone from a bowlegged leprechan. I would have a hard time not turning it into a smooth arc with a gentle taper from the body to the HS, but that's just me. This one is certainly fascinating, keep'em coming.

SR

I would have a hard time not turning it into a smooth arc with a gentle taper from the body to the HS, but that's just me.

gee thanks...

now I'm photoshopping smooth upper horns on it and thinking of cutting it down. :D You bad, bad man, you.

It *would* look more normal that way. I like the Mahi-mahi head and left it in on porpoise. Now I'm considering lopping it off.

I'll sleep on it tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion though, whether or not I utilize it , you got the wheels turning. :D

:D

What can I say? I like your dog...seriously, I meant to mention that earlier.

Hey! I just noticed my other posted got edited. Those three dots used to have the word for an Irish club...you know the gnarly wooden stick with a knobby end used for bashing things rather than the pub type club. I wonder what it was about that word that cause the software to eat it?

SR

Thanks Scott, I like my dog too. 80 lbs of cuddly beasty for the family to enjoy.

.....and there's a 3 letter word for Shillelagh?

That horn is kinda wobbly looking the more I stew on it....

and hear back on it...

which is one thing that encourages me to post pics during the build. Nothing like having many different viewpoints while developing a build. If it was a copy of something , or I was in charted waters, it'd be less compatible for morphing.

On a lighter note, I got nowhere with it today. My kids Honda blew a headgasket so I played frozen mechanic, cursing the Japanese in the cold. :D

then I came home to find my big spalted elm boards had arrived.

O happy day ...

I can get 2 guitar tops and two bass tops which will be in book-matched pairs

and I got the 4 of em for $10 each, to the door......

Thanks Scott, I like my dog too. 80 lbs of cuddly beasty for the family to enjoy.

.....and there's a 3 letter word for Shillelagh?

That horn is kinda wobbly looking the more I stew on it....

and hear back on it...

which is one thing that encourages me to post pics during the build. Nothing like having many different viewpoints while developing a build. If it was a copy of something , or I was in charted waters, it'd be less compatible for morphing.

On a lighter note, I got nowhere with it today. My kids Honda blew a headgasket so I played frozen mechanic, cursing the Japanese in the cold. :D

then I came home to find my big spalted elm boards had arrived.

O happy day ...

I can get 2 guitar tops and two bass tops which will be in book-matched pairs

and I got the 4 of em for $10 each, to the door......

That sounds like a bargain, are you going to post a picture? I have never seen spalted elm before. I'm enjoying watching the very organic bass evolve.

That sounds like a bargain, are you going to post a picture? I have never seen spalted elm before. I'm enjoying watching the very organic bass evolve.

Thanks Muzz. How have you been anyway?? the big island treating you well??

I posted some pics from the auction here:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44504&view=findpost&p=481355

2 bodies will be very active, two will be so-so, but they'll match so I think it'll be cool

I am doing - gasp and swoon - standard strat shaped bodies for the guitar and the bass. :D

nothing radical.

I'll also post pics of the killer swamp ash bass body that just came from Carvin too. I restored a 5 string Alvarez bass neck and decided to buy the body when I saw the buy it now price.... $92 to the door on that one. but their website lists the bodies at $155 and they don't even offer swamp ash, let alone with the active electronics already routed.

to top it off, its a beautiful piece of bookmatched swamp ash, which makes for some killer grain lines.

Now I just gotta settle on a color to dye it. :D

...and as promised , some gratuitous pics of some spalted elm tops....

IMG_0286.jpg

the "plain" pair ( a 4 and a 6 string )

IMG_0285.jpg

and the busy pair , gonna be a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar.

IMG_0284.jpg

and a close-up of the busy guitar top.

IMG_0287.jpg

I know these are not ideal guitar/bass tops, but I don't mind the knots n such for that cheap of a price.