The Octo~bass .

Hey Mike, Yep all good cheers, it's a lovely sunny day today on the big island, love the elm tops knots and all, stained or natural?

Nice! It snowed today ( again :D ) so I went sledding with the kids. had a nice bonfire in the fire-pit and then a snowball fight, followed by hot chocolate made by grandma. It was great!

I did nothing with the octo-bass as I'm contemplating lopping off the dolphin head like Scott suggested. Don't wanna act hastily.... so I got to it on my brothers bass - routed the pups and cavity for the controls, then drilled the looooong tunnel from the output jack to the neck pup. always a scary one to drill by hand. Came out great though.

I like the new cover for your pointy stick. Looks great.....

and I'm thinking the wifey needs some knickers like that. :D

Oh yeah , and Natural. B)

Wow. :D

whip 'em out wednesday??? or world of warcraft?

I can't tell if thats a good wow, but I somehow doubt it....

I said no more pics till complete, but I smoothed out the upper horn after pondering Scotts advice.

IMG_0308.jpg

at this point, all shaping is done ( I hope... ) the tuner holes are drilled, the battery box is done and the strap button holes are in.

IMG_0309.jpg

I'm happy with the way its come out so far.

It looks more elegant now...if that is an appropiate word for this design. This should be an attention getter on stage.

SR

If we're stretching it enough to call it a 'design' , we can stretch it enough to call it 'elegant' :D .

* reaches for boots, it's getting deep in here *

In all honesty, I like it better. I looked at it for days before committing the saw to it, but I do thank you for the suggestion. I weighed the options and looked and yours was just a better idea. leave it to an awesome carver to see the subtleties...

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently up in the air over this thing, hardware-wise. The bridge is gold, the pups are black... what color tuners/knobs / output-jack cover is going to look right on the guitar?

The red and purple wood look sorta 'striped-suit-ish' , if that makes any sense...

I'm, actually thinking of doing a black and gold mix, but I'd love to hear some other thoughts.

This is where she is right now..... still un-done at this point, but playable...

I kind of like the mix of hardware, but may go with all black knobs. Same with the bass tuners, may change those to black as well.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

There's an unfinished string retainer on it at the moment, and a few spots that will need a touch-up on the teak-oil.

IMG_0355.jpg

I'm in the process of making ebony cavity covers for the controls and battery, too.

IMG_0350.jpg

Almost there.

Sound-wise, it's a monster. active 3 band EQ , pickup pan knob and the octave strings make a crazy amount of sounds possible. great sustain and a very pronounced, piano-like bass tone.

I'll post a video when she's 100% wrapped.

Thanks.... apparently the shape reminds people of different things.... a tommy gun, an elephant, Shrek .... a 'bong' !

its a playable Rorshach test..... :D

Seriously though... I played this thing for hours yesterday! The bottom two strings sound like the top strings on a 12-string guitar! , the other four just sound like a regular bass, but the combination can yeild some neat sounds!!

I am certainly having fun with this one. :D

• 1 year later...

Oh, my aching bones ! I decided to break this beast out at band practice last week. After 4 hours, this thing left me with a serious shoulder ache.

So I stripped it down today and weighed it sans hardware and pups- it's 12 Lbs ! Woof.

So, in the interest of being able to use it live repeatedly, It's going under the knife. I'll keep you posted.......

Oh, my aching bones ! I decided to break this beast out at band practice last week. After 4 hours, this thing left me with a serious shoulder ache.

So I stripped it down today and weighed it sans hardware and pups- it's 12 Lbs ! Woof.

So, in the interest of being able to use it live repeatedly, It's going under the knife. I'll keep you posted.......

NOOOOOOOoooooooo! don't cut 'er!!!

and post the promised video!

:angry2:

Turn- first off- WELCOME to the forum. :D I appreciate you concern, but it's only aesthetics. I honestly did consider building a stand for it, something made of wood, very heavy and large but decided I don't want to haul it all to gigs n such. I could leave it as is and only break it out for certain tunes.

I have a 5 string made out of swamp ash, and it's good for shows, so I'm not backed into a corner with it but as Wes so wisely pointed out, a bass thats not being used is useless.

The most interesting thing I play on it is the song "Dee" by Randy Rhoads. It just sounds cool an octave down!

I'll video it up after the "surgery".

When i built it, I chambered the devil outta this thing and only kept one picture of the "map"........ re-shaping it TOO much won't happen, but that big purple-heart horn can go for sure. The feet are being rounded over into a more traditional shape and the flap-disk is being taken to the back to shed some thickness . I'm hoping for 3-4 Lbs lighter, but only time will tell.

I'll re-weigh after and post up.

• 2 weeks later...

The great flapper-disk massacre of upstate NY happened yesterday........ I took a saw to the horn and then made a giant pile of red/orange sawdust with the flap-disk. Reshaped the body a bit and thinned it down a lot, as planned. It's lighter, but i still have some more removal to do, this time with a slightly more controllable tool than a grinder and disk. It worked fast- but had me way nervous about going through into the chamber.....

Didn't happen, thank God -but the rest will definitely be done by hand! :D