Stupid Bandsaw Question

kpcrash

I have a recent bandsaw acquisition - basic Ryobi 9" that was gifted to me. I know from the previous owner that it might have been used once to cut some shelf brackets he was trying to make.

I purchased a new 3/8" blade for in hopes of maybe using it for more intricate work (like horns :D in 1" wood). Got the belt on, tightened up quite well and on track.

I have also clamped it down to the table as I don't know that I have space to permanently bolt it down yet (plus the other one might get jealous)

When I'm cutting with it - I was getting a rather jagged cut on a 14 TPI blade - meaning, it's obvious it was done on a bandsaw - a circular saw with a framing blade gives a better edge. And it was rather squeaky going through curves.

I tried adjusting the blade tension a little more and of course now, when attempting anything other than a straight cut, there is quite a squeal coming from the blade in the wood.

Is it possible I need to loosen it? Use a thinner blade? thoughts?

I have a recent bandsaw acquisition - basic Ryobi 9" that was gifted to me. I know from the previous owner that it might have been used once to cut some shelf brackets he was trying to make.

I purchased a new 3/8" blade for in hopes of maybe using it for more intricate work (like horns :D in 1" wood). Got the belt on, tightened up quite well and on track.

I have also clamped it down to the table as I don't know that I have space to permanently bolt it down yet (plus the other one might get jealous)

When I'm cutting with it - I was getting a rather jagged cut on a 14 TPI blade - meaning, it's obvious it was done on a bandsaw - a circular saw with a framing blade gives a better edge. And it was rather squeaky going through curves.

I tried adjusting the blade tension a little more and of course now, when attempting anything other than a straight cut, there is quite a squeal coming from the blade in the wood.

Is it possible I need to loosen it? Use a thinner blade? thoughts?

3/8" seems a little wide for me. I use 1/4" on my 14" BS ans will still get some chatter and squeal in very tight radius. I will usually make relief cuts going into the curve to help relieve that issue. Hope that makes since?

MK

I have the same Ryobi 9" BS, and also tried changing to a 3/8" blade. Same blade squealing and poor results as you've had. I changed to a 1/4" blade with far fewer TPI. It clears chips better and doesn't wander as much -- but is still a POS. I now have a much better 14" General BS with an assortment of blades, and use the Ryobi only for thin material.

As stated, the 1/4" is a good all-around blade. You could easily go for a 3/16" or even 1/8", as you have small wheels and the smaller blades will run more smoothly. Play with the 9" for now, but save up the bucks for a 14" or better with 1.5hp minimum (if you plan to resaw) and have the space for it.