Poll : All Builds In One Thread Or Seperate Thread For Each Build

RestorationAD

Multiple builds in one thread vs one build one thread  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's funny you brought that up. I was looking at the list where you have four threads lined up and thinking that's a lot for you to keep up with. Two of them are in pretty much the same stage so you are pretty much repeating yourself.

For the record my first thought was to agree with John and that's how I voted, but....

if the story's the same, maybe you ought to combine a couple of builds and see how you like it. That way you could describe it once and show pictures of both. If they are all different style guitars with their own seperate issues, then give them a separate thread.

I certainly enjoy all the separate threads, but I don't enjoy repeating myself and I don't imagine anyone else does either.

SR

and i think that relates back to variety!

at the moment you have a few threads detailing similar builds with different woods - might make sense if they were in one place - accompanied by a group shot at the end! (like your tele builds were one thread)

but if you were doing 4 or 5 very different builds then keeping them separate starts to make sense

depends how much we want to ignore/abuse the rather ignored/abused 4 pic rule

and i think that relates back to variety!

at the moment you have a few threads detailing similar builds with different woods - might make sense if they were in one place - accompanied by a group shot at the end! (like your tele builds were one thread)

but if you were doing 4 or 5 very different builds then keeping them separate starts to make sense

depends how much we want to ignore/abuse the rather ignored/abused 4 pic rule

I try to not abuse the 4 picture rule. Matter of fact I seem to take pictures in groups of 4 when I am working... when you see 3 pics the missing one was blurry.

I got what you are saying. In the future when I am building 6 or 7 S9s all at the same time one thread is fine. They are all at the same stage now but they will split up soon... once the bodies and necks are roughed in t takes forever to finish them.

The next three builds are vastly different (all prototypes) and could be quite interesting if something goes awry.

Ok hit me with a couple more votes and any more opinions are appreciated. I think next go around I will start a single thread for S9 builds. Then use separate threads for the unique builds.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I would say do whatever makes YOU the happiest, period.

After several years of posting multiple build threads, the whole thing became almost a separate 'function' to my building, and quite honestly, I just got tired and bored of the whole multiple build thread thing.

If I threaded about all the guitar build projects I have going at different times I probably would never get anything else done. I notice most builders go through several 'phases' of progression, and I think the build thread thing is one of the phases. It comes, it's fun, then it can become a PITA, but the building keeps going.

As long as you enjoy doing it, keep doing it, and do it whatever way you like the best until you don't like doing it anymore.

I still pic-document everything, but I don't post or thread all of it anymore.

Now, pic-documentation is primarily for my own benefit, not for build threads, because that's the way I enjoy doing now, and it has changed over the years, I let it morph and adapt and let it become whatever it wants to be at the present time, that attitude keeps it fun, fresh, and enjoyable.

My opinion only. :D

Personally, I would say do whatever makes YOU the happiest, period.

After several years of posting multiple build threads, the whole thing became almost a separate 'function' to my building, and quite honestly, I just got tired and bored of the whole multiple build thread thing.

If I threaded about all the guitar build projects I have going at different times I probably would never get anything else done. I notice most builders go through several 'phases' of progression, and I think the build thread thing is one of the phases. It comes, it's fun, then it can become a PITA, but the building keeps going.

As long as you enjoy doing it, keep doing it, and do it whatever way you like the best until you don't like doing it anymore.

I still pic-document everything, but I don't post or thread all of it anymore.

Now, pic-documentation is primarily for my own benefit, not for build threads, because that's the way I enjoy doing now, and it has changed over the years, I let it morph and adapt and let it become whatever it wants to be at the present time, that attitude keeps it fun, fresh, and enjoyable.

My opinion only. :D

So I document everything because it helps me remember what I did wrong or right. Also so it gives the customer a good beginning story of the guitar. It also provides me with a record of what I have built.

I look back on my early days and all I have are a few photos of some work... I did some cool stuff that never got photographed and for me that sucks.

Documentation is for me... posting is something I wanted to do to help myself and share. I don't post every build thread here... some projects don't get finished and that leaves open threads (I hate not knowing what happened).

Ok poll closed. Single build threads for guitars it is...