Guitar Of The Month For March

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yeah - seen the Benedetto vids, it does make a lot of sense to me doing it that way - never sure about the way he tapers the headstock thinner though - especially with equal height tuners :? - yes, i would even go as far as questioning someone like benedetto on the odd small detail :D

i think my main issue with a non-angled 3-aside headstock is that it usually requires the addition of a string retainer, well even the fender way usually requires string trees - and i like to keep nut to tuner as free as possible... only time i really move from that is on stuff like low tuned guitars/baritones where behind the nut resonance can be a negative issue.

if you fancy having a go with a piece of quartersawn macasser ebony for a neck then give me a shout - i had enough for two necks, built one and dont know when i will get around to doing another! Bit undecided about whether i want to keep it or not

One other thing which is very interesting especially when your an artisan - immitations....

See anybody who wants to rip off your idea on internet, you know those smart guys who say "I want to build a hufschmid clone because I cant afford one but I like them" or the perfect case of the person who really wants to rip off your ideas, you know?

Well he cant unless he builds a one piece quatersawn neck and a straight headstock...

I mean by that, anybody can laminate pieces of wood together to some point and get a good result BUT most of those guys who ripp off ideas always seam to enjoy building laminates and neck trought guitars - HA

Get my point? If you want to lets say copy or rip off a hufschmid clone, why not BUT it wont be a hufschmid unless you build the same ways using the same selected wood (which require considerable resource) and building techniques like bolt-on (which I dont see very much because most of those guys are not precise and good enough to cut a clean neck pocket...

hehe

The biggest majority of legendary guitar players in the world play or have played on flat headstocks, even satriani had his ibanez designed with a flat head.

Maybe so,but that would fall into the same "hype" category as buying a set of pickups because Metallica uses them,would it not?

it could also just as easily be stated the opposite way round without being any less true (well, i aint going to try statistically working it out!!)

The biggest majority of legendary guitar players in the world play or have played on angled headstocks

:D

The biggest majority of legendary guitar players in the world play or have played on flat headstocks, even satriani had his ibanez designed with a flat head.

Maybe so,but that would fall into the same "hype" category as buying a set of pickups because Metallica uses them,would it not?

Just teasing.I never noticed your headstocks were flat,I think because of the graceful volute you use.Nevertheless I prefer angle headstocks,because I always use a Floyd locking nut,and I match the radius of the nut with the angle of the headstock so I don't have to use a string retainer...I don't always get it perfect,but I try.

I realize this is a piss poor pic,but it should show what I am going for(which is nothing new)

Yeah that looks sweet. I've built several angled headstocks in the past, I always came back to the straigth heads, again because I dont like scarf joints and grain runout, but that's just me...

... the hype is actually the angled heads! hahaha

grain runout

On that one I used Bubinga veneer front and back.(these pics were taken years ago during a huge house and garage cleanup I was doing,there is no longer a broken table there :D )

On that one many people did not like my angled tuners...but I did,so they can suck it :D

l.jpg

l.jpg

One other thing which is very interesting especially when your an artisan - immitations....

See anybody who wants to rip off your idea on internet, you know those smart guys who say "I want to build a hufschmid clone because I cant afford one but I like them" or the perfect case of the person who really wants to rip off your ideas, you know?

Well he cant unless he builds a one piece quatersawn neck and a straight headstock...

I mean by that, anybody can laminate pieces of wood together to some point and get a good result BUT most of those guys who ripp off ideas always seam to enjoy building laminates and neck trought guitars - HA

Get my point? If you want to lets say copy or rip off a hufschmid clone, why not BUT it wont be a hufschmid unless you build the same ways using the same selected wood (which require considerable resource) and building techniques like bolt-on (which I dont see very much because most of those guys are not precise and good enough to cut a clean neck pocket...

hehe

nah - wont be a hufschimd unless its built by you!

But personally i see the flat headstock/1 -piece neck as easier to copy than an angled or laminated neck - - - once you have the nice materials of course, which anyone could get a few pieces of - its finding the regular supply of top quality wood that is hard!

The forum has loads of bolt on, through and set neck builds here, in various styles. Loads of imitations and loads of original designs - usually based on previously existing guitars since certain shapes are hard to get away from. the forum also has loads of different skill levels, budgets and loads of different approaches.

I build with laminates a lot, and the occasional neck-through. Not for any other reason than liking those techniques. I dont see how that is more likely to make me "rip off" another builder ???

But as soon as you start posting stuff here you are directly providing the same bunch of builders with ideas and inspiration...its quite natural that somebody coming here to learn how to build guitars will look at the way better builders are doing it and copy certain things.

But as soon as you start posting stuff here you are directly providing the same bunch of builders with ideas and inspiration...its quite natural that somebody coming here to learn how to build guitars will look at the way better builders are doing it and copy certain things.

Yeah and I enjoy posting to help guys see how its done BUT I dont share everything :D

One of my very last laminated necks and lacquer finished guitar was an 8 string :D

cant find any more pics, sorry

l837d16eec83c490e9dc05c.jpg

l_26773d0ebf8447b5a85a5e6fc7e53f11.jpg

and here is my last lacquer finished instrument, after that I totally switched to oil finishes... another BC Rich ripp off! hahaha

l_ecfe6f81ccc7458fcf635848e6d87ed3.jpg

l_ca828a8e7230aed636cd5ff9a3f5b32f.jpg

Rant ensues....proceed with caution.

First off I completely respect Huff his builds as well as anyone else willing to show us what they do. To each his own. I get what Huff does and why he does it... we may not agree on everything but I completely see his side and really respect his voodoo. I think Wez and Wes and I have a more similar voodoo.

I believe in the Gibson side of electric making.. I respect everything Leo did for us but Ted was the man. So my voodoo always leans toward McCarty instead of Leo. Doesn't make it wrong, good, bad, indifferent. My voodoo my guitars.

I really like the discussions about the flat one piece necks vs the laminate angle headstocks and I want in.

Laminates are so much easier, you can actually buy a well seasoned flatsawn board, cut out a bunch of necks, then you flip them over and glue them together and you have quatersawn stock. Benedetto shows this technique in his videos (you must check them out, epic!)

Laminates are a PITA they are not easy (at least not mine). It takes me an extra 2 days build time to make laminate necks. I love building necks out of quartersawn stock however without driving a hundred miles or getting lucky I have a hard time finding quartersawn stock. Plus laminates look cool.

However I've noticed that as soon as you post a flat headstock guitar (which is not vintage :D picture in a forum, people wonder why you dont add an angle AS IF an angle is the only way to go for... funny B)

I have seen this first hand and I think it is silly. I would never ask Huff why he doesn't do angle headstocks. I have never put my hands on one of his necks but I am pretty sure they are excellent. The pictures do not lie the man builds great necks. However outside of clones of vintage guitars I doubt you would catch me doing a flat headstock...

yeah - seen the Benedetto vids, it does make a lot of sense to me doing it that way - never sure about the way he tapers the headstock thinner though - especially with equal height tuners :? - yes, i would even go as far as questioning someone like benedetto on the odd small detail :D

I love Benedetto he is an amazing builder... he makes it look so easy.

He tapers the headstock to protect it from breaks. In the old days Gibson tapered their headstocks as well. The voodoo is that the tapered headstock disperses a shot to the top more than a non-tapered headstock.

I taper mine because Benedetto says it is the thing to do... as well as the fact that vintage Gibsons did it. No science, no theory, I do it because I like it. I will say that it seems that the tapered headstock can take a smack on the tip better than a non-tapered but I only test it when I have been drinking...

hehe

Hope I don't fit in that general statement...

I say "Good Luck" if you decide to copy Huff or Doug (Blackmachine) or anyone else who builds excellent guitars. Usually if you have enough skill to copy one of them then you should build your own guitar. I seriously doubt anyone could make a "Hufschmid" even close to the real thing. Same goes with a WezV, Drak, Avenger, or anyone else I have had the pleasure of following over the years.

As for angled headstocks vs flat headstocks. To each his own. Unless you properly engineer a flat headstock it is subject to the same grain runout an angled headstock is. IMHO a headstock scarf with a proper headplate is just as strong. I think the neck scarf is my least favorite for looks (hence the reason I stick an accent in it).

I don't agree with Gibsons 17 degree headstock... I like the 14 degree and volute. I think the volute doesn't help as much as people think. Especially in a headstock scarf where a fracture would follow the grain regardless of how thick the joint is. A volute on a neck scarf probably actually helps.

I like the volute for aesthetic reasons...

scatter lee - Got my vote. I absolutely love the Jr. I put it right up with the Gibson V and the Explorer as the greatest guitars ever designed and built. I really like the twin TV Jr.s you built a while ago but this one is excellent as well.

hydrogeoman - Almost. This is really nice. However I think the lower bout curves need to be addressed. Maybe make the lower bouts (arm side and control side) bigger... maybe closer to a P-bass. I get everything else and it is very nice. The scroll on the top horn could be more exaggerated (ala Les Claypool's bass). Solid craftsmanship.

Boggs - I am not sold on the body shape yet. I like the logo on the headstock. The overall execution/craftsmanship is good. The center of the body has way to many laminates...

crow - This is one heck of a 7 string. I like it however I think that is not quite as great as some of your other builds. I think the headstock is a bit short for a 7. The transition from the body to the neck seems to have a really sharp line. From the front this thing rocks.

Hufschmid - Not much to say. I am sold. Clean execution as always. Love the mockingbird. Would have won for me had Scatter not entered the Jr.

swedishluthier - Again not much to say as this is an incredible instrument. I had to use the old "Which one would I take home if I could only have one" test. Excellent example of a guitar with a frying pan in the middle. :D

Excellent example of a guitar with a frying pan in the middle. :D

Its great for making popcorn. Just pour the corn in there, a few minutes on the stove and you have enough popcorn to take you through the gig. Its also kills all acoustic feedback. :D

I wish people would stay off of their necks.That sort of a test proves nothing at all about the strengths of different construction methods.

To have a real test you would need to measure the force applied in the center of the neck right at the breaking point on a neck of each construction method...which means several broken necks...

And all of it would just be stupid,because we ALREADY know that ALL of the methods are plenty strong enough to work in a guitar...I could make a neck out of steel that would be stronger than all of them,but who really cares?

I wish people would stay off of their necks.That sort of a test proves nothing at all about the strengths of different construction methods.

I am not sure... that sure says a lot about the flexibility and strength on Mahogany. I know when I was younger I thought maple was the only way to go...

If you ask me today I would say it is my least favorite material for a neck.

To have a real test you would need to measure the force applied in the center of the neck right at the breaking point on a neck of each construction method...which means several broken necks...

Yeah... but that wouldn't be as funny as some dude jumping on a neck.

And all of it would just be stupid,because we ALREADY know that ALL of the methods are plenty strong enough to work in a guitar...I could make a neck out of steel that would be stronger than all of them,but who really cares?

Agreed.

All I really wanted to do was answer Wez as to why Benedetto tapers his headstocks... then I got carried away.

wow - we have gone spectacularly off topic this month!

not entirely sure how tapering the headstock slightly thinner helps make it stronger, all benedetto says in the book is that it adds a "professional touch", and i can see why that is so - it does add a bit of aesthetic elegance. but it also means your D & G tuners sit ever so slightly higher :?

anyway - the point is when i notice a detail like this i dont just blindly accept it as better. some of you all seem to think its arrogance that makes me question (or just want to discuss the ideas of) people who are clearly better than myself, but you dont get better yourself by blindly accepting or copying what they do without trying to understand why they do it that way!

And I totally agree, I was just braking a stupid stereotype of guys who say that "mahogany necks" are not strong enough... B)

I could even be a little picky by saying that the neck on the video was built using SIPO mahogany which is a significantly stiffer specie then the Sapelli...

But we all know anyway that "mahogany" is all the same... B)

The epic thing about posting these thype of videos is when you read the comments like this one here:

Youreallysuckguy wrote:

"Did you use the neck on a real guitar after that?"

Reply:

@Youreallysuckguy dear customer, thank you for purchasing this unique creation! BTW we are proud to announce to you that the designer and creator of this guitar has made a video in which you can clearly see him jump on the neck in order to test its strength, we hope that you wont be bothered by this little minor detail... Best regards

hufschmidguitars1 il y a 1 mois 12

:D :D

I don't usually say much on the GOTM,or in the forumn for that matter.One thing that keeps me quite is all the different ways to do something and the out come being a great guitar.The minds of the people are formed as to prefer one or another,that is what makes us who we are.I learned not to argue with people unless it was life threating.long as the job gets done and done to satisfaction ,I could care less how they got there.To master something takes a lot of time, and trial.

This month is a group of really good builds....I picked the Swed...I like blues and I don't own one,just a beautiful job.The body style is really cool ,too.Would love to own it.

The rest of the builds are great also, I just like his this time around.Funny ,but if we could all hold and play them,maybe we would pick a different one.After all guitars are ment to be played not looked at.Cost and looks do not a guitar make.It is the sound and playability that make it a keeper.My hat is off to all the builds on this forumn,to me it is like ,if you got the balls to show it ,it is worth looking at.

We all agree to disagree from time to time....but we all agree to rock on.hahaha :D

ps. you do know ,you can watch and read till the end of time...you still will not know all there is to making a great guitar.You can come as close as anyone tho with time and practice.

if you fancy having a go with a piece of quartersawn macasser ebony for a neck then give me a shout - i had enough for two necks, built one and dont know when i will get around to doing another! Bit undecided about whether i want to keep it or not

I'm your huckleberry. Unless you think shipping would make it cost prohibitive. :D