What Can I Do With This Maple? 3 Piece Top Maybe?

Mike.D

I found an 1x6 8' piece of gorgeous curly maple (at Home Depot of all places) and I was thinking about using it in a guitar build. I was thinking of a 3 piece top like the back in the pic because the pieces are too narrow for a 2 piece bookmatch. Do you think that would look OK? Any other opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

mapletop.jpg

3pieceback.jpg

I think it would look great. I think the bookmatched curly maple thing has been overdone 1000x over. I've done that before with walnut veneer. The back had a walnut strip with maple and walnut veneer. It looked great. It gives a lot more character than bookmatched curly maple, IMO.

you could definitely do a three piece top, but for me that would be to much waste. by the time you glue all three peices together you have an 18" wide surface. might not produce all the much waste if you are making a wider guitar body, most solid bodies seem to be around 13". if it were me i would probably use it for necks, but thats just a matter of preference. i'm cheap so i like to get the most that i can out of a piece like that.

Thank for the replies! I have some 8/4 cherry I've been thinking about hollowing out and using for the back. Cherry/maple/cherry veneer might look cool at the joints on the top. Now I just have to make some time and get this project rolling.

Shad...I'm 99.9% sure it's soft maple and it's got a minor bow in it. I don't want to take any chances using it for a neck but I appreciate the input.

Edited by Mike.D

you could definitely do a three piece top, but for me that would be to much waste. by the time you glue all three peices together you have an 18" wide surface

only wasteful if you waste it!

Its 6" wide so i would cut off 1.5" first, then slice that into a 3 x 4.5" piece top to give me a 13.5" wide top and an extra piece of perfectly usable 1x1.5" maple. at the very least I could give/sell that bit to some wood turners. That is if i deemed it unsuitable for neck lam material or binding stock

also, a top cut like that is going to look more aesthetically balanced than one with a 6" wide centre section, infact i would probably trim the middle bit down to 4" or maybe even angle the cut like on those acoustics - plenty of options!

I cry heresy. PRS uses two piece bookmatches, therefore that is all that is acceptable. Just kidding, I think that would look great in a 3 piece top, maybe some thin strips in between for contrast.

With the wood being from Home Depot though either check the moisture with a meter or else sticker stack that board and give it at least a few months before you use it. Home Depot wood is seldom properly dried.