First Build 7 String Thru...

OK... So my actual first was supposed to be a 6 string thru... But during the winter there was alot of rain and as it turns out, my neighbours garage floods... So all the water came through to mine too and now the body i started making for "Project Sharon" is too wet to use. Now it's getting warmer again i thought i'd have a go at a 7-string as recently i bought a new 6 string so i think having 4 would be a bit silly :D ... Well... Atleast until i finish the 7, a short scale bass for my lovely missus and a 5 string bass for myself :D

Sooo... Here is the concept of the body i mocked up in 3DS Max.

7stringdesign.jpg

Let me know what you think. (I've not completely set my mind on the black/purple fade.

Maybe I should let you all know the woods ect.

Neck: Maple and American Black Walnut 5 piece

Body: Old growth brazillian mahogany (With a figured maple top, Not sure if I want to try my first carve with quilted as that stuff doesn't come cheap! Maybe Curly maple or flamed...)

Pick-ups: EMG or DiMarzio, Not sure yet, Need to listen to them more.

Bridge: 7 String fixed, String through body

Hardware: Chrome (Preferably a charcoal chrome if I can find it all in that)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dude! Yeah I got the idea for the finish from an old guitar company called Palm Bay. And the bridge on the mock-up is based on an Ibanez Gibraltar 7, Although I don't think I'll use that as it'll probably cost a bundle to order one from them.

Should be starting work on it next month so I'll keep it updated!

• 2 months later...

OK... So I just ordered the mahogany for the body. Unfortunately due to money I won't be able to do the figured top :D

So now instead, it will be the same guitar but natural :D. The mahogany I bought has a really nice grain so it's no loss, Would be a shame to cover it up.

In the next week or so I'm going to get my maple and walnut for the necks cut into laminates so I can glue them up and get to work!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are still a couple of spots that look a little dry,possibly...I have had a coupe of neck blanks be unusable because I didn't get enough in a spot or two,so now I soak the hell out of it and just put down wax paper.It's not a mistake to be messy.Messy is good.

It's easy to get starved areas on a porous wood like walnut or anything similar...the pores really soak in the glue.It's easy to get a perfect squeeze out on maple.

Glue is cheap. :D

Little bit more progress today, First is a picture to show the contrast of the colours in the wood... Still not sure if I want to stain it lightly or not... Most likely not.

imag0032v.jpg

And here's so far on the first neck, unfortunately my router couldn't cut all the way down so I'll still have to go get it done by a jointer's shop :D

imag0034l.jpg

And this is why I'll have to go to a jointer's anyways... Because I bought a cheap router and my "straight edge" isn't exactly what it stated it was when I bought it.

Still... A nice join between the wood in my opinion. I had the luxury of a little slice coming off as I was routing, so I tested it... Both the maple and walnut broke before the glue join did B)

imag0036b.jpg

So yeah, That's it so far. Once I get this one back from the jointer's, probably in the next few weeks as I still have 3 more to glue up, I can get working on the body and shaping the neck :D (Plus I get to buy nice new shiny hardware, which is always a plus)

Mike.

• 1 month later...

OK. Since I haven't been able to get my hands on a jointer because of lack of money... I'm going to experiment with the idea of making a jig for my electric plane using an old pine headboard I have. (I'm praying that when I measure it out later all The surfaces will be big enough and the big posts either side are perfectly square. If not, it's going to have to be square steel tubing on an MDF base.

I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Mike.