Guitar Of The Month For May

Guitar of the Month for May  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This was a serious month for guitar building. Every guitar built belongs in production! Excellent work all around!

Andyt: You won in December of 2008 and you should win this month. However, I get an extreme hard on for Black Limba and that flame on the neck is crazy! The unique fretboard does not detract away from the Limba for me. It just adds to the beauty. I’d absolutely love to see this guitar in person. The only thing that would make it better is if it was a single humbucker in the bride with no neck pickup but that is purely my tastes. This got my vote 100%.

MetalHead: Any other month and that figured walnut would have earned my vote. The laminations are spot on and that fret board is to die for! I’m not 100-percent sure about the gold. It doesn’t look bad but I’m not a big fan of mix/matching hardware color. I think the black works better. I’d surely play a few jams on this beast!

Peter Brown: The big drawback about this guitar is the washed out, grainy pictures. Take a look at the other submissions. They are crisp and clear and give everyone a clear idea of what the guitar is all about. It’s cool that you wound your own pickups. I wound a few of my own and I show people all the time because it’s different to have your own pups, especially if they sound good.

Maikkeli: is the face of that guitar dirty or is it an effect from photo shopping the background? Take some of what I said to Peter and apply it to yourself. Your pictures are better but the filtering makes the guitar look subpar. The close-ups do look better though. The binding is top notch and the headstock looks like it came from a professional shop. The inlay looks good. You’ll never sell me on the compensated nut though. The tuner is a great use of space and would be a welcome tool for anyone who uses a chromatic tuner.

Brutal Lv: I’m not a fan of that headstick shape on an LP body. It looks too metal for such a classic shape. The round holes and the sunken controls yield a classier look and then you see that Dean/ Rico Jr headstock and it esthetically throws me for a loop. I’ve installed an LR Baggs before. It was lots of fun and really gives a great tonal range to an electric. The green finish looks nice over that maple top.

It's an interesting month. We basically have variations on two Strats and 3 Les Pauls. :D It seems a bit odd to me, but it is what it is.

AndyT: You got my vote this month. Don't take this the wrong way, but I disliked the least number of things on yours. I prefer a Strat-like shape to have color, not natural wood tones. Usually, it's a deal-breaker for me, but it works OK on this one. On a positive note, I LOVE the fretboard and the way you dyed the faceplate to blend in with it.

Metalhead28: See AndyT's comment for wood-tone Strats. The headstock is fabulous. I really dig the binding and the black/gold hardware.

PeterBrown: While I don't have anything inherently bad to say about this one, I don't have anything specifically good to say either. Nothing really pops out at me that says "Hey! Look at me!" I think I'd like to see more depth in the dye job.

Maikkeli: Just plain "no". I don't think the gold foil works in this case. It'd need to be perfectly smooth, with NO visible application lines to pull it off. It's a great idea, but it didn't work this time.

Brutal-Lv: The "metal" headstock doesn't feel right with a butterfly, and I don't care for the PRS-like recesses for the controls on a LP. The f-holes is an interesting idea, but like the inlay, f-holes don't fit with metal.

A month for the metal heads amongst us... And also Metalhead28 :D

Yes, My vote ended up going to Metalhead. It's got a really cool Caparison Horus vibe with a different, but still really sweet headstock.

Like I said though, mucho entertainment for us metal heads this month.

Got a problem this month. All of the guitars look well executed and so on, but non of them makes me tick...

Andy: Nice limba body, great Padauk fretboard, but really dislike the fake attempt to mimic the Padauk om the headstock (sorry). And the tremolo back cover that is cut open makes me go "hmmm"

Metalhead: This would have gotten my vote if it wasn't such a Black Machine copy. A bit more originality (different take on the headstock maybe) and it could have gotten my vote. BTW, how is that Hannes bridge working? Worth the trouble of the mounting?

Peter Brown: I would have gone with all black hardware on this. The really nice black fretboard and pickups/pickups rings need black hardware to tie everything together IMHO

Maikkeli: High points for trying, but judging from the pictures you should have taken all the gold off and started over again. The rest of the build have me convinced that you could have made a better job on the gilding.

brutal-lv: I like the body and the all black fret board and the inlay together with the black pickups (EMGs seldom look good on high figured LPs, but this works, espacially with the crome pickup rings) and the absence of fret dots is right for this guitar. But then the head (black and very metal) doesn't work together with the subtle almost jazzy style of the body (the "f"-holes etc). Something more traditional and the same green as the body and you might have gotten my vote.

Peter Brown got the vote from me this month

My issue with this month is the fact that half of the entries are Les Paul shaped, I don't really care for LP shapes but that is my opinion. My other issue was some of the entries had poor quality pictures. I voted for Metalhead this time. I really enjoy his builds and I love the grain look on strats but that is just me.

BTW, how is that Hannes bridge working? Worth the trouble of the mounting?

It was really no trouble, just had to pick up a couple of special sized bits. It even came with a nice template for lining everything up.

I really dig it, and if I wasn't such a bar user I'd surely try one myself. Super comfortable, and the tone is certainly there. I recommend it highly.

andyt - clever matching on the headstock... i dont generally like 2 tone fretboards but the way you have tied it in makes it work

metalhead - awesome woods and finish, super sharp work, would have rather seen a contrasting than not quite matching back plate

peterbrown - its like a slightly melted Lp style. i like it a lot just not sure about that lower horn

maikkeli - i like the gold leaf and i can see you have done a good job of it. lots of criticism of it so far and i think some are missing the point - if you wanted a ordinary gold top it could have been sprayed. i do think the gold looks a bit washed out in the photo's and would like to see some more colour variation in the pics. I also think the forearm contour throws of the flow of the carve quite a bit. i think the gold leaf looks pretty consistent compared to any other gold leafed guitar i have seen but some of the others use more variation as part of the look. compare it to clapton's gold leaf strat or benedetto's gold leaf bravo. yours is more consistent than both but the slightly variegated look of those two works better for them and separates them out from being just a gold finish. it looks pretty well burnished to me, but the brush marks from the glue/size are evident, although again its something i would argue is part of the look and not a reflection of quality

brutal-lV - looks very well done. mentioned the contrast between butterfly and pointy headstock elsewhere but it wouldnt put me off