Bracing on acoustics...

Are these put in as a tone enhancing...thing? Or are they just to keep the strings from tearing the bridge out of the body? The reason I'm asking is I want to make a thin line acoustic, that I'd use mainly for playing amplified and stuff...

If I can find another (easier) way, to stablize the bridge, will I end up with the same (similar) results?

Thanks,

Aaron

They're there to stiffen the soundboard while adding as little weight as possible, this is why Spruce or some other very light but very strong wood is usually used for bracing.

The top of an acoustic guitar resonates and moves like the cone of a speaker, you wouldn't put your hand on the cone of a speaker while you're playing music thru it would you?

Also, depending on how you brace, yes, you -dramatically- affect the tonal properties of the instrument's final tone.

One bracing pattern can give great bold choppy rhythm playing tone but suck at single-note lead lines, another way may enhance single-note run definition but give suck chop-rhythms, .......and all the colors of the rainbow in between.