Good Deal On Dust Collector

Just upgraded the dust collection in the shop... I was going to make a separator for my current unit when I came across this.

Harbor Freight has this on sale and a coupon for 20% off. Also there is a second coupon for $9.99 shipping on all items that I missed (could have saved even more)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

2 HP Industrial 5 Micron Dust Collector

coupon code: 20COUP (-$38.00)

1 (x) $189.99

Discount: -$38.00

$151.99

Heck the metal trash can for the separator was going to cost me $100.

I've got one these. The are nice. The default bag lets too much fine dust through, but it's still better than a lot of other solutions. You can order a custom one-micron bag for about $150 from American Fabric Filter. There's also a Wynn Cartridge modification that will get you into the sub-micron realm:

The last two links above also mention the Thein baffle, which does a lot to help keep all but the finest dust in the bag.

When I get the chance this summer, I'm going to build a "box" so that that I can reconfigure mine to suck through a Thein baffle and then blow through the outside of a Wynn cartridge. That will keep a lot of the dust in the bag and allow me to more easily clean the cartridge because all the schmutz that it does collect will be on the outside.

Ray

Thanks for the post.

I am excited about this dust collector. My old unit was only 500 cfm w/30 micron bag... useless for anything more than moving the dust from the machine to the air.

Apparently this bag makes a big difference and it is pretty cheap.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10001&Max=999

I might try the cartridge conversion later but it defeats the point of saving all the money.

That's much better than the default bag. For $30, that's not bad. Your CFM will take a hit over the cartridge, but you'll likely get more flow than with the 5 micron OEM bag. Add a Thein baffle, and that will be even better.
I might try the cartridge conversion later but it defeats the point of saving all the money.
The cartridge does add to the price, but it's a big improvement - performance and health-wise. I guess it depends on how airtight your shop is.
This page gives you the lowdown on the HF DC.
Bookmarked!

Ray

That's much better than the default bag. For $30, that's not bad. Your CFM will take a hit over the cartridge, but you'll likely get more flow than with the 5 micron OEM bag. Add a Thein baffle, and that will be even better.
The cartridge does add to the price, but it's a big improvement - performance and health-wise. I guess it depends on how airtight your shop is.
This page gives you the lowdown on the HF DC.
Bookmarked!

Ray

The thein baffle will be in the works as well as moving the motor up. I have to find a place for this thing in the shop...

Stay tuned I will post what I come up with.

Interesting. My extractor just died, so I need a new one. I had a variable speed dewalt for the past 4 years that was great. Anyone want to chime in on usage on these ? how would they do with 5+ hours of use 6 days a week ?

I am still waiting on it to be delivered. It will run for about 8 hours a shot on Saturdays and Sundays at my shop so I will let you know how it does. From what I read they are ok for guys like me... need a few upgrades to the cartridge and such. I plan on using blast gates for each tool as it seems like it will not run 2 tools at the same time.

Not sure how it would work for a pro.