Scraper Recommendation?

Dave_B

Hello all,

I'm gearing up to learn how to do binding so I'm buying some scrapers as part of my LMII purchase. I've never used one and I'm trying to avoid my tendency to over-buy on things.

* .4mm scraper

* .6mm scraper

* .8mm scraper

* 1mm scraper

* Scraper set - all the above

* Swan neck scraper

Any thoughts on what to purchase? Do I need all of them?

For binding, you probably don't need the swan neck (though it is really handy for other guitar-related things). I would probably just go with a medium thickness straight scraper for bindings, especially if this is your first time using one. But that's just me.

For binding, you probably don't need the swan neck (though it is really handy for other guitar-related things). I would probably just go with a medium thickness straight scraper for bindings, especially if this is your first time using one. But that's just me.

I'm probably over-thinking it, which is why I'm six months into my first project and I'm still doing mockups. I ordered the .6mm. Thanks for getting me off the fence, RT. :D

• 1 month later...

Dave_B, I'm looking to get a scraper soon, how does the 0.6mm work for you? This will be my initial experience with them so I hope to start with something a bit forgiving.

I also wonder, can a decent scraper be made from raw cold steel stock instead of having to buy them?

I'm very grateful for any info anyone can give me on this.

Josh

Cheap scrapers are cheap just buy some. Sometimes making your own tools is more cost and work than buying them.

I am using cheap chinese Shop Fox scrapers and I think I get by ok...

Making them from standard structural grade steel will be an effort in futility. Scrapers are hardened and then anealed so they are flexible yet hard enough to get and hold a burr, so getting it right yourself will be daunting task. However, I have read in several books that scrapers can be easily made from old saw blades. The steel has the right properties to hold a burr, is thin enough and is flexible enough. All you have to do is cut the shape you want.

Dave_B, I'm looking to get a scraper soon, how does the 0.6mm work for you?

I've had great luck with it. I've been practicing binding and it's been a good tool for the task.

My challenge has been re-establishing a decent burr. I've tried it with improper tools with no luck, so I'm going to buy a real burnisher and learn to do it correctly. I thought the hardened steel shaft from a discarded inkjet printer would be enough. Maybe it is, but it's not working for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used scrapers for the firs time tonight while profiling a neck. It worked great. First I used a rasp to rough it out and the scrapers cleaned it up nicely. I've also used them for binding too now that I think of it. They are a really helpful tool to have in the shop. I got a pack of three from my local Rockler for like 17 bucks. It contains a straight one, a swan neck one, and a radius one. I don't recall the thicknesses though.